20 October 2017 (Friday) - Lonely

My piss boiled this morning as I looked at Facebook as I scoffed my toast. Figures were being bandied about concerning the levels of crime in various parts of Ashford. I’ve seen these sorts of figures before, and like all statistics, they can be misleading.
Basically the crime figures for Ashford claim that the central parts (where I live) are akin to Dodge City whilst the outskirts are a utopian paradise. But… the central parts include the town centre and the outlet centre, so all the shoplifting crimes get lumped into the statistics for our area. And the town centre has all the pubs and night clubs so we get all the aftermath of the drunks staggering home (towards the outskirts of the town) pissed as farts in the small hours. On occasion I’ve followed some of these drunks at a safe distance (as have others I know). Having thrown their pint glasses at a front door in Christchurch Road these drunks then wander back to their nice homes in Singleton and Godinton and Repton (all the places with supposedly low crime rates) where they behave themselves. It’s basically an old concept called “not shitting on your own doorstep”.
I did consider rattling the South Ashford Community Forum’s cage about this, but I decided not to. Do I want to get involved with setting up a local neighborhood watch scheme? Not really; it would just be one more big argument. These things always are.
I also read that Julian May had died. She wrote some rather good books over the years. It’s a shame she’s gone; now I’ll never meet her, and she won’t be writing any more.

I popped the leads onto the dogs… I often type that. It sounds so easy: “​I popped the leads onto the dogs”. I’m now trying something different at lead time. I’ve got a little sick of how it has been. Up till recently I’ve put Fudge’s collar and lead on him first; the whole time he is pulling his head trying to have a pop at the puppy who mocks him when he has his collar put on. And then when it is time for Treacle to have her collar put on she snatches something she’s not allowed to have and runs off and hides.
I’ve decided that from now on the dogs will sit nicely at lead time. So far it’s not working.
We did our usual circuit of the park. Fudge tried to fight with a bus and two cars and the puppy nearly ran under a street-sweeping thing that was clearing up in the park. We also managed to upset one of the normal people who wanted to stroke the dogs; neither dog wanted to be stroked. We didn’t meet any of the uual dog-walking suspects. I wonder where they all were.

Once home I ran round with the hoover; how can we generate so much mess? I then set about doing the ironing. Dull, so dull. To ease the monotony I sparked up the telly. I started off with last weekend’s episode of “The Last Ship”. There are two more episodes of this season to go; I’ve stuck it out for so long it would be a shame to give up with the show now (tempted as I might be). And then I watched episodes of “Red Dwarf” on Netflix until the ironing was done.
I made myself some toast for lunch and scoffed it whilst watching another episode of “Gotham”, then pulled the living room curtains (so the dogs wouldn’t bark at nothing) and took myself off to bed for the afternoon.

After a couple of hours I got up and watched more “Gotham” then microwaved some dinner which I scoffed as the dogs ate theirs. Even more “Gotham” and now I’m off to the night shift.

It’s been a lonely day today… I spent about an hour arguing with "er indoors TM" this morning, I spent two minutes listening to some nutter in the park grumbling that the dogs wouldn’t let him stroke them, and I spent a few minutes messaging (not actually speaking though) with Jose.
It looks like my biggest conversation of the day will be asking for a McFlurry when I stop off on the way to work…

No comments:

Post a Comment