25 October 2017 (Wednesday) - Rostered Day Off

The idea was to have a lie-in this morning. I was still up before 7am. Over brekkie I had a look at the Internet. The Facebook group about the new Star Trek series wound me up. Most Star Trek fan stuff winds me up to be honest.
From forty-odd years of being a Star Trek fan I’ve found that most die-hard Star Trek fans have this idea of the show which always involves Gene Roddenberry’s utopian vision of the future, but which rarely has anything in common with the actual TV show. Again this morning people were complaining about stuff in the most recent episode of Star Trek: Discovery, claiming that certain things would never happen in “proper” Star Trek whilst totally oblivious to the fact that whatever they were complaining about was a feature of the show long before they were born.
I also found myself copied into an email that I guess should have gone to the astro club. A couple of years ago a decision was made not to use a certain speaker as he was far too expensive. I see he’s been asked to lecture to the club in a little while. Presumably the rest of the committee have forgotten that they told him to get stuffed a year or so ago as they all felt he was far too expensive.
Still, not my circus, not my monkey.

I took the dogs for a walk round the park. As we walked we met a rather small Jack Russell from which Treacle ran in terror. She’s not good with other dogs. Mind you, she chases squirrels like it is going out of fashion. Fudge straggled; I wish he’d keep up.
With dogs walked I settled them, then loaded the car with some bags of rubbish and then drove round to "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" to get her rubbish. I was under orders to do a tip run today. We filled my car to the gunnels with rubbish and went to the tip which was surprisingly quiet today.
"Daddy’s Little Angel TM" hadn’t been to the tip for ages; it showed. She insisted on kissing goodbye to each and every bit of tat, and she wasn’t impressed to find that her best shoes had been put in with what was being thrown out.

We came home via Asda. Like McDonalds, Asda has a drive-through. You send them an email saying what shopping you want, give then an hour or so, then turn up at their drive-through and they bring the shopping out to you. Ideal if you know what you want.

With "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" deposited back at her place I came home and had a look at the monthly accounts. I started off with an argument with the bank. I first became a customer of my bank in either 1984 or 1985, and for thirty-odd years they would send me current account statements and credit card statements on the seventeenth of each month. Just recently they’ve taken to sending current account statements on the twenty-fifth, and credit card statements whenever the mood takes them. I phoned to (again) ask for statement on the same date like they always used to, and they assured me that I can choose the date of the current account statement, but credit card statements come out randomly like they always have done(!)
I’d rather not move bank if I can avoid it, so the obvious answer is to use the debit card on the current account rather than my credit card.
I expect they won’t like that.
With argument over I actually looked at my account… I’m not skint. In fact I’m seriously in the black from where I was five years ago. However I’m nowhere near as solvent as I thought I would be on what must be the wind-down to retirement. I don’t *need* more money, but I seriously *want* more.

Having watched all of the third season of “Gotham” I found myself at something of a loose end, so over lunch I watched the first episode of “The Expanse” on Netflix. And then I watched some more. So far it seems watchable enough; not entirely unlike “Dark Matter”. After three episodes I was wilting so I had a bit of a doze.

"er indoors TM" came home. We settled the dogs, collected Cheryl and Lisa and set off to Maidstone. After a few minutes stuck in traffic we met up with the rest of the posse and ten of us went to the Hazlett theatre to see “The Wedding Singer”. It was an excellent production, but (like most live music) would have seriously benefitted from having had the volume turned down.

We came home rather later than planned to find nice next door’s burglar alarm making noise…

No comments:

Post a Comment