2 October 2017 (Monday) - A Third Birthday

I had a better night's sleep than the previous night; not good, but better. Over brekkie I watched an especially lame episode of "Dad's Army" then checked the Euromillions ticket I bought on Friday. Gordon had told me the jackpot was over a hundred and fifty million quid. I can't pretend to be poor, but more money would be good. Money might not buy happiness, but it does allow you to be miserable in extreme comfort. Am I being greedy in wanting that much money?
Needless to say I didn't win anything, but I might have done. I'd certainly made plans as to what I would do with that amount of money. The first thing I would do (if I won millions) would be to smile.

I set off to work on a rather overcast and depressing morning. Bearing in mind that two weeks ago we were all in Greece I was rather concerned to hear the news on the radio that the nation's fifth-biggest airline had just gone tits up. Over a hundred thousand people have woken up in holiday resorts up and down the Mediterranean only to find that Monarch Air is no more. It turns out that the biggest repatriation of UK citizens in peace-time is now under way as all these people need to be brought home. I couldn't help but wonder what I would have done if I'd been told that our airline had gone bust whilst we were away. Probably panic, I expect.
It turns out that one of my colleagues had booked a holiday to Grand Canaria with Monarch. She was wondering where she stood.

I got to work, and had a message from Cheryl. There had been talk of going to Jamaica for next year's holiday. That was out the window as Jamaica ain't as cheap as we had been led to believe. Despite airlines going west I still fancy more foreign holidays. There is now talk of Turkey.
It's daft, but it looks as though a foreign holiday is cheaper than one in the UK...

I did my bit at work, and on the way home I popped in to see "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM"; today is his third birthday. He’d got a decent haul of pressies, and was playing very nicely with a racing car track.
We spent a little while there, and as time was pressing "er indoors TM" got us KFC for tea. When she’d gone bowling (Monday is bowling league night) the puppy dared to scrounge for left-overs and before I could stop her she scoffed a sachet of salt.
She’s been at her water bowl on and off most of the evening…

No comments:

Post a Comment