24 July 2026 (Friday) - Early Shift, Accounts

With an alarm set I was awake early. Not as early as I often am, but still early enough.
I made toast and scoffed it whist watching an episode of "Stranger Things" then, taking care not to wake anyone, I set off for work. As I'd watched telly so I'd heard the bin men coming up the street. Back in the day the bin men used to collect the bin from your garden and take it back again. These days you have to leave the bin out on the pavement for them, and once they've emptied the bin they just fling in in the general direction of "away from the bin lorry" and leave the pavements awash with discarded wheelie-bins. You only get you bin back if you go looking for it, and only if you get there before someone else steals it because your bin is better than theirs.
I retrieved ours, put back those of a neighbour or two, then weaved my way in and out of all the other bins which had been strewn across the pavement as I went to find my car.
 
I went to the co-op to get lunch. As I was feeding coins into the self-service machine so the stench of cannabis filled the shop. Some chap staggered into the place absolutely reeking of the stuff. These days pretty much everywhere I go seems to stink of it.  The allotments by the co-op field are particularly bad for it. It might be grown there - it certainly smells that way.
 
As I drove up the motorway the pundits on the radio were talking about the new Prime Minister who has announced even more tax cuts. The general feeling was that his predecessor was something of a dull character. The new chap is trying to avoid his mistakes, endear himself to the masses and make a name for himself. First impressions matter. Or so it was felt.
Meanwhile that idiot Donald Trump  has given the world a whole load of new trade tariffs and wonders why no one likes him.
 
I got to work and saw one of the top bosses from where I used to work was visiting. He made a great show of saying hello (as though we were long lost buddies) and he asked how I was.  I told him I was far happier working in a place where I didn't feel physically sick every day at the thought of going to work. I named a few names that (in retrospect) I should have named ten years ago.
Part of me wonders if I was right to stick the knife in after so long... part of me doesn't.
 
An early start made for an early finish. I came home down the dual carriageway that once was the M20 and hit a traffic jam. A car had broken down, and we had three miles of ten miles per hour. Meanwhile what used to be the coastbound carriageway (supposedly for lorries going to the port) sat there completely unused.
I suppose I was only half an hour late home, so I shouldn’t complain too much.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up pizza and went off out. I settled with the dogs and looked at the monthly accounts.
They could be worse, but they could be a whole lot better. It would be nice if I could magic up some money like the new Prime Minister seems to be able to do.
 
I shall now watch some more episodes of “Stranger Things” and hope I don’t fall asleep…

No comments:

Post a Comment