23 July 2026 (Thursday) - A Toad and a Pigeon

Late last night I phoned the emergency vet. The little dog I found did have a chip and had been reunited with his family. I had something of a sense of relief about that. Partly for the little dog, and partly for myself as I just know that I couldn’t have left the little thing on his own.
 
Once I’d got comfortable I slept well (the pain in my shoulder has moved into my upper arm). I got up just before eight o’clock, made toast and peered at the internet as I do. It was the same as ever. There was an interesting argument kicking off on one of the religious pages that I follow. Apparently it says in the bibleDo not eat anything you find already dead”. Presumably the implication is that you have to go hunt/forage your dinner every time. Obviously supermarkets, KFC and kebab shops are a no-no in the view of the Almighty? Clearly this is a bit daft, but then when you read the bible much of it is rather daft. I felt sorry for the god-botherers in the squabble who were claiming that you have to pick through the bible to find the bits that aren’t nonsensical. Your holy text is either the word of your god, or it isn’t. You can’t pick and choose the bits you want. Can you?
 
I Munzed, Wordled from “stray” to “orbit” in three goes, then got ready for the off. As I drove the dogs up to Challock the pundits on the radio were interviewing one of the head honchos at Edinburgh council. They’ve implemented a “tourist tax” by which anyone staying in paid overnight accommodation in Edinburgh from tomorrow will be subject to a five per cent levy for the first five nights of their stay. This woman being interviewed was genuinely surprised that hotels have all reported mass cancellations, and various events including the Scottish ballet have been cancelled. The pundits interviewing her didn’t actually ask “are you truly that stupid”? but it was quite clear that she was.
 
We got to the woods and had our walk. There were several cars in the car park, but we did our usual four (and a bit) miles and didn’t see anyone else at all as we walked. We didn’t see any deer, but we did see a toad. Each dog gave it a sniff, and then carried on, which was a result.
 
We came home where I made us both a cuppa. I had planned to brush the dogs’ teeth (I need to do that daily!) but they were all asleep after their walk. So I wrote up a little CPD. Last week I saw some Pappenheimer bodies. Back in the day whenever we saw something interesting down the microscope we’d keep the slide, and everyone had a case of microscope slides all of which faded with time. Some still do that, but now we are in the twenty-first century I take a photo and keep an on-line atlas of haematology. It’s nothing special, but hopefully it will impress the inspectors if and when I get inspected.
 
I stood up; the dogs all leapt up. With them awake I had a go at brushing their teeth. We need to practice that some more.
I had a little pootle in the garden, then sat by the pond and woke up an hour later in time for lunch. More toast which I scoffed whilst watching an episode of “Stranger Things” then sat by the pond again watching the antics of a pigeon sitting above the waterfall. He was there for a good five minutes and didn’t seem at all bothered by my watching him.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a rather good curry which we washed down with a bottle of plon whilst watching the first episode of the new season of “Star Trek: Strange New Worldswhich was rather good.
 
I’ve got work in the morning…

No comments:

Post a Comment