24 July 2024 (Wednesday) - Geo-Meet After Work

I slept reasonably well, but was still awake long before I needed to be. I made toast and watched another episode of “Boomers”. This one featured him who played Ford Prefect in the Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. The actor looks to have lost about two feet in height over the intervening years.
 I had a look at a dull Internet, got Wordle on my fifth attempt then got ready for work.
 
I wandered off down the road wondering where I'd left the car. I eventually found it two streets away. Sometimes I really think we need to move; if only to get off-street parking so I know where my car is.
As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about how the Prime Minister has laid down the law and suspended seven Labour MPs who defied him by voting against his proposals for only allowing child benefits for two children. Whether or not this specific case is right or wrong, it really shows yet another failing with our so-called democracy. In the last few weeks we've clearly elected a load of MPs who must do as they are told or they will be ruthlessly slapped down. So much for our having a voice in Parliament, eh?
 
As I drove up the dual carriageway (which was once a motorway) I kept glancing over at the "Operation Brock" bit in which absolutely no lorries whatsoever were being queued. Again I found myself wondering why the Highways department have trashed a perfectly good motorway. I also saw three cars driving down the "HGVs only" bit...
I got close to Junction Five and joined the queue. At half past seven this morning the queue was already quite long enough. The traffic was reduced to only one lane because of roundabout-widening roadworks. Mind you I can't help but think that the half-dozen workmen might have been better employed actually widening the roundabout rather than just standing about. To be fair one digger was doing digging. But then again there was space for at least a dozen diggers to have been doing digging.
 
Work was work. Getting home after work was just as problematical as getting there had been. With lanes coned off for no apparent reason it took nearly half an hour to get to the motorway. Had there been anyone at all working I could understand why lanes might have been cordoned off, but no one at all was working. And as I drove down the “Operation Brock” bit of the motorway I saw one lorry in fifteen miles. Thet’s not “not many” – that’s “one”. I counted.
 
I got home, collected “er indoors TM and the dogs and we drove to the Leas in Folkestone where there was a little geo-meet going on. With people from miles away in the area for next week’s Mega-meet we spoke hunting Tupperware with people from Scotland and Holland. And I got four points towards the next ge-souvenir.
 
Getting home rather later than usual we had a kebab for dinner. Having had a guts ache all week, that should either kill or cure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment