27 November 2020 (Friday) - New Stair Carpet

With "er indoors TM" having taken up the stair carpet yesterday, walking downstairs this morning was a rather noisy process. I cleared up the turds on the kitchen floor (nice one Sid!), made some toast, and scoffed it whilst watching an episode of “People Just Do Nothing” then sparked up my lap-top to have a quick look to see what had happened overnight.
I spent a little while looking at some of the comments on the local Facebook groups. I try not to comment on them – they really are one huge nasty bitter argument. A lot of bad feeling was being expressed at yesterday’s announcement that the entire county will be going into COVID-19 tier three restrictions when lock-down ends next week. I didn’t comment on any of the rather ill-informed comments being expressed but reading them just reaffirmed by heartfelt conviction that democracy is no way to run a country. One woman was incensed that we will have tier three restrictions, and had taken great offence to other people’s suggestions that she was (partly) to blame because of the incessant anti-mask anti-social-distancing diatribes she has been posting all over Facebook for the last few months. Another chap had publicly declared that he will be ignoring any and all tier three restrictions until such time as the Prime Minister pays all of his ongoing household bills and professional expenses. (I can sympathise with that). And it spoke volumes that our own (Conservative) Member of Parliament was asking how it was possible for our town to go into lock-down in tier one and come out in tier three.

There was a rather telling discussion on one of the work-related Facebook groups. People working in a hospital some miles away were whinging at how slow the drivers doing their blood deliveries were. They weren’t happy that the courier firm they used had prioritised cake deliveries over blood deliveries. I’d intimated yesterday that perhaps the bakers pay more than the blood bank. Whilst a lot of people weren’t happy with that, it turned out to be the case. The couriers are running a business, not a charity.

 

It was again rather dark and dismal as I set off to work this morning. But today the street lights were on. They weren't on yesterday, but (in all honesty) they didn't make much difference today. Energy-saving non-light-polluting street lighting would be such a good thing *if* it actually lit the streets.

As I drove to work there was even more “blah-blah-COVID” on the news.  I didn't really pay much attention to it. There is pretty much nothing to say, but the pundits on the radio say it every day. No one likes the forthcoming tier system, a lot of people will ignore the restrictions, but there it is. Pausing only briefly to stick a bar code onto a lamp post and earn five zeds (it's a Munzee thing) I went in to work for the early shift and did what I had to.

 

An early start made for an early finish and as I headed home I popped into Aldi in Aylesford. Last week I didn’t as the cars were queuing up the road to get in to the place. The queues were a little shorter today, but still ridiculously long. Bearing in mind I know where stuff is in that shop but I don’t know where stuff is in other supermarkets I queued up. I have no idea what the queuing was all about – there was just an epic queue to get into the car park, and an equally epic one to get out again. The car park itself wasn’t busy – there were loads of spaces. And the shop wasn’t busy either. I didn’t have to wait at all at the tills.

Mind you if any of my loyal readers went to Aldi in Aylesford today and went through the second till from the right, I’d disinfect whatever you bought. The woman on that till was wearing the most manky gloves you ever did see. She wasn’t at all impressed when I told the young mother behind me to thoroughly scrub anything that those gloves had touched.

 

I came home to find that the new carpet had been fitted. It looks rather good. Bearing in mind that we had the loft conversion done round about the turn of the millennium it has only taken us twenty years to get round to carpeting those stairs.

We should have done it years ago…

No comments:

Post a Comment