28 November 2020 (Saturday) - Day Off

I came downstairs admiring the new carpet and chivvied Sid into the garden. It was rather foggy as he bimbled about without a care in the world. We went back inside, I had a shave, and came out of the bathroom to find he’d crapped on the lino. He’s very good with tiddle, but seems to have lost all control over the other end (poor pup).

 

I made toast and had a look at the Internet. For some inexplicable reason I recently joined a Radio Four – related Facebook group and someone was whinging on there about how no one on that page has anything good to say about the station’s output. Isn’t this true of all fan groups though? No matter what the subject, no one has a good word to say about the show of which they are supposedly a fan. Look at the nastiness in the Doctor Who groups (today!) about the new Dalek design. And the show Star Trek: Enterprise was cancelled in no small part by the constantly negative reviews from the so-called fans.

I then rolled my eyes when I saw what a cousin-in-law was posting on-line. Having made a conscious decision to move three hundred miles away to the arse-end of Cornwall, she’s constantly whinging about how far she has to drive whenever she wants to go meet any family or friends. There was quite the rant today about the seven-hour drive that she’s planning for Christmas Eve.

 

As I fiddled on-line so the doorbell rang. The DPD driver was delivering a parcel with which either he or his mates had been playing football. I’d never seen such a mangled package. I intimated to the driver that I wasn’t impressed. He didn’t actually say “f… off fatso” but his tone certainly conveyed the sentiment.

 

With the dogs itching to go out we drove over to Godinton where we had a little walk round the estate and woods. A friend had hidden some geocaches over there, and hunting them out gave us a little route for our walk. Some of the hides were a bit tricky; we did have to phone for help on one of them. But we found all that we’d looked for, and the dogs didn’t get that grubby either.

 

We dropped the dogs home and settled them, then went round to Asda for a bit of shopping. We wanted light bulbs; we ended up spending over fifty quid.

Supermarkets make me laugh at the moment. As you walk through the door there are spotty security guards making sure your face coverings are on, and there are constant announcements over the loudspeakers about keeping your face covered. But only half the shop staff are wearing face masks, and those that are wearing them have them as chin warmers rather than as anything protective. Two or three were wearing visors, which achieved absolutely nothing. Apparently those who wear visors are those who have an exemption from wearing the masks. I wonder if they have told the virus that?

We come home to find the garden waste recycling bin has gone. I wonder who has nicked that.

 

I spent a little while doing CPD, and since it was hopelessly out of date I had a look at my LinkedIn profile. Isn’t LinkedIn a load of old tripe. I have been recommended for my skills at haematology, Microsoft office and laboratory automation. All very nice, but not one of those recommending me have the faintest idea as to whether I’m any good at those skills. In fact some of those people recommending me have never even met me.

 

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching another episode of Netflix’s “The Crown” which this time would have us believe that two incidents which took place seven years apart were actually in the same week.

And now we are watching “Nativity. This year Christmas seems to be starting very early. As we walked earlier we saw so many houses with their decorations up. Personally I’m not convinced with the idea. I suspect that those who are currently “decking the halls with boughs of holly” will find that the novelty of Christmas will wear off sometime in mid-December. I hope I’m wrong, but time will tell. It always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment