25 November 2020 (Wednesday) - After the Night Shift

The night shift started rather busier than I would have liked and carried on in the same vein. But I’m not complaining; being busy meant the time didn’t drag, and soon I was on my way home. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how much the COVID-19 pandemic has cost us as a nation. Estimates vary, but it is more money than I’ve got.

 

I made a flying visit to home to collect the hounds, and we went straight to the woods. The car park’s height restriction barrier was open when we arrived, and there were some bulldozers in the car park. I wonder what they are up to? But they didn’t interrupt our walk, which was the main thing.

We were over an hour later getting to the woods today compared to the last two days, and there were more people about. We arrived just as the little old lady with the poodle and Jack Russel was leaving, and as we walked round we met quite a few other dog walkers; fortunately all encounters passed off without “episode”. We met one elderly dog being pushed round in a four-wheeled buggy thingy. I wonder if we might get one for Sid?  We saw a bag of dog poo hanging from a tree some twenty yards from the path. Why bag it and hang it from a tree? Why not use a stick to flick it int the undergrowth and bury it with leaf litter? It would mulch down in a few days. And we saw something that amazed me. In the deepest part of the woods two women were trying to train a dog. The poor thing was at the end of the longest lead you ever did see. Both were giving the dog incredibly complicated instructions (I would have asked them to repeat what they were saying, and I speak English!). And both couldn’t understand why the dog was getting the lead tangled amongst the tree trunks. Pogo and Fudge went to investigate; a blast on the whistle called them back. I quite like doing the whistle training when there are ill-behaved dogs about if only so that I can gloat about how (relatively) well behaved my hounds are.

 

We came home, I had a bit of brekkie, then went to bed. I would rather have not wasted the day asleep, but it was probably better to go to sleep deliberately rather than just nod off. I slept for a couple of hours. I would have slept longer but "er indoors TM" had to go out on a mission and when she went out so the dogs started screaming. Not barking - screaming. I wish they wouldn’t. Mind you they all looked suitably ashamed when I came downstairs to them.

I made myself a cuppa, and then got the ironing board out. I spent a couple of hours doing the ironing whilst watching “People Just Do Nothing”. It is such a good show – I recognise one or two people of my acquaintance as I watch it. This afternoon our heroes went to church for a “christianing”.

 

As I ironed so my phone beeped. An employment agency wondered if I would be interested in a fixed term contract doing the job I now do, but for double the wages. At first sight this seemed an attractive offer, but the job was in the Orkney Islands.

I think I shall pass on that.

 

Hopefully "er indoors TM" will boil up some dinner soon and we shall scoff it whilst watching last night’s Bake-Off final. Even if I do know the result… Someone had blabbed the result on Facebook which I saw (by mistake) earlier. I suppose it was rather silly of me to hope to be able to avoid being told the result, but there’s no denying that when I saw that spoiler I wasn’t impressed. I won’t say who posted it, but I am I being *that* petty when I say that the person who posted the spoiler will be getting quite a few spoilers about all sorts of things over the next few weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment