18 November 2020 (Wednesday) - Nephew's Been Found

I slept well; over a bowl of granola I watched an episode of “Time Gentlemen Please” then sparked up the Internet to see what had happened overnight. The post I’d put up last night about my missing nephew had been shared thirty-two times, and the original post from the Hastings Observer had been shared over five hundred and sixty times. Interestingly overnight he had accepted my friend request on Facebook so I knew he couldn’t be very far off the radar.

With not much else of note on the Internet I got myself ready for work and set off.

 

It was rather dark as I set off to work this morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how the Prime Minister has put his foot in his mouth when he said that devolution in the United Kingdom had been a disaster. Personally I think he is right. Devolution, Brexit... surely at the time when the entire world should be coming together as one, the entire world is fragmenting into petty squabbling clans.

There was also talk about how Donald Trump is looking to make sweeping changes to American foreign policy in his last days in office. Rather than getting ready to hand over, he looks to be stirring up a shitstorm for his successor. There was also talk of the legal challenges he's made about the American election which have gone against him, and how he's going to have to pay up eight million dollars for one recount because the state in question (Wisconsin) can find no grounds for a recount.

 

I got to work for the early shift, and hadn't been there long when I got a message. My missing nephew had turned up in Reading (of all places!) in the small hours. My brother and sister in law had gone to collect him and had been stuck in a traffic jam for six hours.

 

Work was work – I spent (probably) far too long peering out of the window watching the antics of a load of small birds. There is a charm of goldfinches (collective term!!) that live in the tree outside the window and spend quite a bit of time spuddling in the puddles on the flat roof outside the other window. They are quite sweet little things.

An early start didn’t make for quite such an early finish today. Having been reliably informed that last week I’d been in close proximity to someone who has since gone down with COVID-19 I was sent for a swabbing. The nice man rammed his protuberance down my throat and up my nose and told me I’ll get the thumbs-up (or down) tomorrow.

 

I got home to see my parcel had arrived. A couple of weeks ago I ordered some Lego light bricks from a chap in Belgium. They arrived today. I’ve got a vague idea to rebuild my Lego church to give it stained glass windows.

And I also got home to a message. A fellow hunter of Tupperware was going to be walking one of my geo-series at the weekend. He’d seen one of them had reports of a wet paper log and had offered to replace it and wondered if there was any other maintenance he might do. There is… Some people were complaining about the given co-ordinates of one of the hides being mildly out, but no one has actually told me what they feel the co-ordinates should be. And other people have been quibbling about the given hint of one of the hides. Everyone says the hint is wrong; no one tells me what it should be. As my mate walks round he could sort these issues for me and only add less than a minute to his day. For me to make a special journey out there I’d have to give up half a day. It is such a shame that the more vocal element of the Tupperware-hunting fraternity look down on this sort of public-spirited offer.

 

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching the second episode of “The Crown” on Netflix. The show has stirred up quite a hornet’s nest though. Obviously the show must be allowed some artistic licence as no one is ever going to know the substance of conversations held between members of the Royal Family. But did the Queen dislike Margaret Thatcher? For all that it was common knowledge during Mrs Thatcher’s terms of office, was this actually true? Or did Prince Charles really say “whatever ‘in love’ means” in his engagement speech?

Personally I can’t help but wonder if the problem is that many people are getting their history lessons from Netflix rather than from their time at school. Perhaps if our schools were better… but that’s a rant I’ve done to death, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment