21 September 2017 (Thursday) - This n That

I woke after six hours sleep, and lay in bed for a further hour desperately fighting off getting up for a tiddle. Silly really; had I got up, done what I had to and gone back to bed I could have had a restful time in bed rather than a rather painful one.
I eventually got up and since I was up I sparked up the lap-top to see what was happening in the world. It looks like quite a few people have waited for us to come back from our holiday before going off on theirs. I found myself reflecting on the last week. I didn’t really want to go, but I am glad that I did. I’m beginning to wonder where I can go next. I’ve done Greece; Turkey perhaps? I’m told that the touristy stuff in Egypt and the North African coast is dodgy; I’ve heard several tales of shopkeepers locking tourists in their shops until they buy something. There has been talk of the Dominican Republic (where’s that?)
I quite like the sound of a cruise up the Danube. Romania and eastern Europe might be good. But wherever it is, I need to scare up the money. By the time we’d paid for the holiday, paid for long-stay parking, and extra apartment hire (until the coach arrived), got some new swimmies and a suitcase, and squandered cash whilst out and about, the week away probably cost about a thousand pounds each. I need to make some serious economies elsewhere to find that amount of money again.

I took the dogs for our morning constitutional round the park. As we walked we met an odd couple we see from time to time. The husband of this odd couple carries their dog for the entre walk just in case they should meet other dogs (I once met them when my hounds were at home and they explained they didn’t want their dog mixing with the sort of dog that that frequents Viccie Park). The wife of this pair pointed at Treacle this morning, screamed, and announced to the world “that dog is eating something disgusting”. I tried to laugh it off; dogs *do* eat disgusting things. That’s what dogs do, as I told her. “Our dog doesn’t” she announced, looking at me as though I was the shit on her shoe.
Silly cow!

We came home and I realised I’d not had any brekkie. I quickly boiled up some toast, then mowed the lawn. I soon stopped and cleared up seemingly tons of dog dung, then mowed the lawn properly.
I spent a little time looking through my fishing gear this morning; usually I find out that I’m running low on whatever at the lakeside, and promptly forget about it. Then when I am next near a tackle shop I buy what I think I need. And then I find I have ten thousand hooks but no floats. I also spent a little while overhauling some bite alarms that "My Boy TM" left in the shed years ago. The batteries had corroded away, but I eventually got two out of three of the things working again.

I settled the dogs and went shopping. First of all to Wickes to get a metpost and a fence post. One of the posts has rotted away and nice-next-door says if I get the ingredients he’ll do the work. I’m only too happy to take him up on his offer.
I also went to the tackle shop to get some odds and ends. Whilst there I met Gary (who did our attic conversion). He told me of a lake he likes in Somerset. It sounded really good, but Somerset?

Home again; I scoffed a quick lunch then set about ironing all that I washed yesterday. That took a little time; enough time to watch two episodes of “The Last Ship” and one of “Victoria”, and I was just dozing off when "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" arrived with "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" and the dogs.
She had to collect some parcels from Beaver Lane; did I fancy the walk?
Personally I don’t like these home delivery services; I won’t order anything that doesn’t come by Royal Mail. Take the delivery we collected today. MyYodel delivered the stuff to a shop a mile away. If we wanted it delivered to home we would have to pay extra and wait in all day. So we walked for a mile to find that half of the delivery hadn’t actually arrived, and what had been sent was wrong.
As we walked back through the park Fudge’s lead broke, and "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" had a total melt-down when we picked up the poo that our dogs had just done. I kept giggling, and screaming “MUMMY LEAVE THE POO!!” at twenty second intervals.

Mind you it wasn’t all bad. Just as we were getting the dogs back onto their leads (and bodging Fudge’s) "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" asked me where "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" was. Jokingly I said “In the pond, I expect”. There was then a scream. He *was* in the pond. He’d waded in. His mother went mental at him.

I had intended to do so much more today, but by the time we got home it was getting on for 6pm. I dozed for a bit more, then "er indoors TM" came home with fish and chips. We scoffed them whilst watching three episodes of a documentary about the making of “Only Fools and Horses”.
I stayed awake for most of it…

No comments:

Post a Comment