26 September 2017 (Tuesday) - New Star Trek

As I drove home from the night shift the pundits on the radio were interviewing the Labour party’s spokesman for health. Sometimes I wish the Labour party would give a little more thought to who they allow to represent them. This bloke was being interviewed about the finances of the NHS and the various private finance initiatives in the NHS, and it was painfully obvious that the bloke didn’t have the faintest idea what he was talking about.

Once home I got the leads onto the dogs (easier said than done) and we went for a little walk round the park. As we went Fudge tried to pick a fight with a Dalmatian. I say “tried to pick a fight”; he did quite a good job of picking the fight. However it was good that the Dalmatian was on a lead; even being on a lead the Dalmatian handed Fudge his arse on a plate.
Fudge stayed really close to me after that.

As we walked my phone beeped; two new geocaches had gone live not too far away. Once home I settled the dogs, then thought I might chase a First to Find. I got one, and seeing the other cache was only a mile or so away I thought I’d see if I could get the FTF on that one as well.
I did. Happy dance.
In the past if two new caches go live relatively close together (apart from series of caches that form a walk) I’d only claim FTF on one; I’d leave the other for someone else. But more and more it seems that I’m one of a vanishingly small minority that does this. In fact chasing the First to Find has got out of hand in some quarters. I’ve heard of people who walk out with their mates who are hiding caches so they can get the heads-up for when they go live. I’ve heard of people who arrange for caches to go live at a certain time, then give their mates the co-ordinates an hour before. And I’ve even heard of people who have two caching accounts; one used to hide caches and the other used to claim the First to Find on what they’ve just hidden.
All rather sad…

I was just about to have a little sleep when my mobile rang – it was the man from Pieroth wines. Having spent a small fortune with them a few months ago I was (supposedly) entitled to a really nice set of gin glasses which the rep wanted to deliver. Could he hand them over on Friday? I said he could, and he started on about bringing some samples of their latest range of wines. But when I said we’d got enough wine to last for months (which we have) he said he’d put these gin glasses away until such time as I was ready to make another order.
So I only get the free gift when I spend money with them? Perhaps he might like to stick them where the sun don’t shne?

I got a few hours sleep, then got up and watched the most recent episode of “The Last Ship”. It is an odd show. It paints the world in very black and white terms. Americans are wonderful and save the world, everyone else is a total bastard and deserves to die, and the British are portrayed as being particularly evil.
Do Americans *really* hate the British as much as the writers of this show do?

"er indoors TM" came home and boiled up some scran. Liver and onions – oh yes! We then drove down to Folkestone for the Tuesday gathering because (unlike me!) Jimbo has a Netflix account. We watched the first two episodes of Star Trek; Discovery.
It was… It was billed as a prequel to Star Trek. It wasn’t. It was a prequel to Star Trek: The Next Generation. I quite liked the show, but they were flying about in a space ship which was far more advanced than something which supposedly would come ten years later. Mind you I can’t help but feel they’ve made a monumental mistake. Star Trek; Discovery is set about ten years before the original series. And (like any prequel) you pretty much know all the back story and what is going on already. The most recent “official” Star Trek series (Enterprise) was also a prequel and it flopped.
I can’t help but think about the song “Star Trekkin’” – “Boldly going forward ‘cos we can’t find reverse” – unfortunately they have found reverse and are stuck in that gear. It would have been far better to have had follow-on series which could have been open ended rather than trying to fit in with a long-established story (and failing to do so).
However, they are now making more Star Trek, and that can only be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment