1 September 2017 (Friday) - Rather Busy

I had a rather good night shift. A busy night; and tiring for someone who thought he was giving up night work about ten years ago. But overnight (amongst other things) I counted blood, I clotted, I performed vitamin assays and ensured the compatibility of blood for a patient with complications of the MNS blood group system and for another patient who was bleeding. All in all, a rather productive use of my time.
I was going to say that I might whinge about work, but I don't think I do any more. I'm content in my current position, which is more than can be said for quite a few years.
I do my bit at night secure in the knowledge that in the morning someone *isn't* going to be going through everything I've done with a fine-toothed comb actively looking for fault.

Shortly after 1am my phone beeped. I had a friend request on Facebook.  I have no idea who Jenna Pharis is, but I do know that she has legs all the way up to her bum, and judging by what she isn't wearing she must be very cold. I’ve put a photo of her on today’s blog entry so my loyal readers can all judge her.

As I drove home the pundits on the radio were discussing the apparent failure of the first round of Brexit negotiations. And with no agreement, any talk on trade deals seems to be receding far into the future.
To my mind this is exactly where the entire Brexit concept is a rather nasty thing. The EU's priority is to sort out the UK’s outstanding unpaid debts, the rights of EU citizens who have been living in the UK for years, and to sort out the question of exactly what will happen on the border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic. They want to do the right thing for all the people involved. And rightly so. However the UK government wants to talk about trade deals and to sort out future money deals.
Personally I thought that human decency would come first every time, but clearly not.

Once home I walked the dogs round the park. There was a minor incident with a small brat in a playpark who started screaming hysterically when he saw my dogs. His mother (who could have been mistaken for a brick outhouse) told her brat not to cry and then announced (whilst looking me in the eye) that the dogs were doing on their leads. I played innocent, looked around, and then looked her in the eye and asked “some other dogs?” and we kept going. Silly cow.

I then took myself off to bed for a bit. Yesterday I slept well during the day. Today I gave up after two hours. The dogs were rather fractious; one would breathe heavily and the other would start barking. The first would then join in the barking, and so it continued.

Over a spot of late brekkie I saw that my SkyPlus box had recorded the first episode on the new series of “The Last Ship”; a post-apocalyptic story about a world devastated by plague. This first episode has started well. Here’s hoping.
I then had a look at the monthly accounts.
Oh dear…
The most recent figures I can find say that the UK inflation rate is two point six per cent. Fudge’s health plan has gone up by twenty-five per cent and my car insurance has gone up by fifteen per cent. How do those in authority come up with the official figures which are so clearly at odds with reality?

I then unboxed my new lawnmower and had a go with it. What can I say? It mows the lawn. The grass collection thingy doesn’t collect quite as much as it could, but it collects more than the old one did. I mowed and strimmed, and strimmed and mowed, and just as I got to making the lawn look half-way decent Treacle marched up the garden, looked at me, and did one of the biggest turds she’s ever managed.

Having prived my new lawnmower’s bona-fido (!) I took the old one to the tip together with quite a bit of other assorted rubbish. The tip was amazingly quiet and fee of the usual idiots who infest the place. Maybe Friday afternoon is the best time to go tipping?

"er indoors TM" made a rather good bit of dinner and we caught up with telly. We watched the first episode of the new series of Bake-Off. It’s now on Channel Four; I quite like it. And we watched the second episode of Lego Masters. I say “watched”; I slept though that…

Bearing in mind I’ve just done two night shifts, I was rather busy today…

No comments:

Post a Comment