7 September 2023 (Thursday) - Travel Fun (!)

I went to bed last night with a guts ache that ached all night. I eventually gave up laying listening to my stomach rumble and got up. I had this idea that some toast might settle my innards.
It didn't.
As I scoffed toast I watched the last episode of the tenth season of "Shameless". Whilst fun to watch, the show would have benefitted from just the smallest bit of effort on the part of the writers. For example, it is just not possible for a trainee pharmacist to get access to blood test results; let alone perform tests herself. A piddling detail perhaps, but a glaring inconsistency to me.
 
I get dressed and set off to work. It had rained overnight (despite the weather forecasts). As I drove the pundits on the radio announced that the UK is to re-join the EU's flagship research scheme, Horizon. Some so-called expert or other was wheeled on who said that this was just the first announcement of many in which the UK is to re-join many European initiatives that it abandoned during Brexit. Apparently no one really knew what Brexit would entail, and now that the UK "is out of the EU", there's an attempt at damage imitation going on behind the scenes.
And there was a lot of talk about the government setting up an investigation into vet bills following claims that many pet-owners often did not know the price of treatments until after their appointments. It has to be said that vets aren't cheap; I can remember back in the day Sid needing dental work and Daddy’s Little Angel TM actually shopping around for quotes. And little Fudge's trips to the vets (when he had back issues and kidney problems) rarely came in at less than four hundred quid.
Mind you I'm not sure whether this investigation is trying to lower the prices or just make the public more aware that a trip to the vet will cost a small fortune.
 
Work was work. It was hard going today, but there was cake. And being on an early shift meant I got out early. Sadly it didn’t mean I got home early though….
Whoever is in charge of organizing the highways in Kent is demonstrably not competent to do the job and should be sacked immediately. Quite frankly some work experience child could do a better job. This afternoon the motorway between Maidstone and Ashford was closed because of “enhanced port security checks” at Dover. However there was absolutely no hold up to traffic going from Ashford to Folkestone.
The practical upshot of all of this was that my journey home took twice as long as it should and I never got within twenty miles of Dover but “er indoors TM went babysitting within five miles of the place and experienced no problems at all.
 
Over a rather good bit of scoff sent to me from Daddy’s Little Angel TMwe watched the last three episodes of “Scarborough”; a rather good TV show. If you’ve not seen it, give it a go…
Oh… and it’s a year since Dad died…

No comments:

Post a Comment