11 November 2022 (Friday) - Before the Late Shift


I hadn’t been up long when er indoors TM commented on how ripe the dogs’ farts were this morning. I smiled sweetly and hoped she wouldn’t make the connection with last night’s kebab bonanza which me and the dogs shared.

 
I got the dogs leaded up and into the car and we drove up to Kings Wood. As we drove the pundits on the radio were talking about the staffing shortages in the hospitality sector. The chap doing the interviewing commented that he had personal experience of this, having just been on a short break to the Lake District and found so many pubs, restaurants and hotels closed from lack of staff. The woman being interviewed was a leading light in the hospitality sector who again pointed out how difficult it was to get staff after all the workers went home after Brexit. I can’t pretend that I thought that Brexit was a good idea, but the government has had six years to sort it out… It can’t keep on being used as the reason for all the country’s problems, can it?
A government spokesman was wheeled on who wittered on about how foreign workers can apply to work in the UK (if they want to jump through endless legal hoops to do so), made the observation that no one wants to work in the hospitality sector anyway (as it is too much like hard work), and then said that what with double-figure inflation and the cost of living crisis fewer and fewer people will be able to afford to go to pubs, restaurants and hotels, and so the sector will need a lot less workers anyway.
A rather strange admission from a government spokesman, wouldn’t you think.
There was quite a bit of talk about the NHS as well… since the Royal College of Nursing announced the result of the strike ballot there has been a definite change of attitude from Radio Four about the NHS. More and more the talk is about the waiting lists and the unspoken implication is that this is entirely due to the lazy workforce. Or am I just being paranoid?
 
We got to the woods and did our usual four-mile circuit. Just after half-way we heard a voice. There was some rather aggressive-looking woman a hundred yards behind. “I vould like to come past” she bellowed in a thick German accent. I don’t know why she had to make the announcement; there was plenty of space.
She ran past with her dog on a lead attached to her belt; her dog being something huge (quite literally the size of a small pony). Her dog stopped when it saw the puppies, and when a dog that size stops, anyone roped to it stops too. She didn’t like coming to such an abrupt halt. Her dog then started bounding and jumping and playing with the puppies, and the puppies were playing and bounding and jumping too.
The German woman then announced very loudly to the world (even though there was only us there) that she was sick and tired of other dogs attacking her dog. I actually laughed and explained that all the dogs were playing. With a face like thunder she insisted “Zat dog is attakink my dog” whilst pointing at Bailey, who is about the size of a small cat.
Eventually she pissed off, which was for the best. The next chap we met said he’d had a run-in with her as well… As we got near the car park we met a Dalmatian puppy who was so excited to play with Morgan and Bailey that she actually trod on Bailey (several times!)
 
As we drove home “Desert Island Discs” was on the radio. We only caught the last half of the show. Richard E Grant was the castaway. I must admit I didn’t think much of his choice of records, and when he spoke I got the distinct impression that nothing he said was from the heart, but all had been carefully rehearsed. Perhaps I’m doing the chap a disservice?
Once home the dogs soon settled… Treacle in the puppies’ crate and the puppies in Treacle’s basket.
 
I set off to work singing along to the songs that my car plays for me. They are mostly by "Ivor Biggun", but there are three CD's worth of "The Tiswas Album" and several other songs best described as "assorted and various".
I went to work via Sainsburys  as I needed a sandwich for work... and I also wanted to test that my new credit card actually worked. I've had issues with new cards before. Fortunately it tricked the woman on the till into giving me a sausage sandwich and a bottle of fizz, and once I'd got those scoffed I went in to work.
I say "work"...
 
There was cake, and then I spent a few minutes explaining to the new trainee that if she walks round carrying something then people will think that she is busy. And (advanced skiving technique!) that if whilst carrying something she has a lab timer clipped to the pocket of her lab coat then people will think that she is multi-tasking.
Several people have commented that I should apply for the post of departmental training lead...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment