18 November 2022 (Friday) - Fiscal Policies

I woke feeling full of energy and raring to go only to see that it was only half past one, and then dozed fitfully, waking every twenty minutes or so. I hate that; it happens too often.
I eventually gave up trying to sleep and got up. I took the puppies outside... they are funny little things, but they aren't daft. Usually when we go outside they mess about and pootle and take their time. But they know that once they've done their first tiddle of the morning they are allowed upstairs on the bed with “er indoors TM and Treacle. Both had done what was expected of them within seconds, and were soon jumping up and down at the door in  excitement
 
With everyone else asleep I made toast and watched another episode of "Stranger Things". The show has now reached the point where the plot is obviously starting to flag, so the writers have introduced a whole new bunch of characters. It perked things up a bit.
Taking care to let sleeping dogs (and “er indoors TM) lie I set off to work on a dry day. Having had four days off work when it did nothing but rain, I went back to work just as the rain stopped.
 
As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about yesterday's Autumn Statement by the new Chancellor of the Exchequer. The details are in many ways blah blah blah, but the practical upshot is that the country was in a financial mess before Liz Truss became Prime Minister and through her incompetence added thirty billion quid to the debt. I can’t help but think that Liz Truss and that other idiot Kwarteng should have all their asset seized and spend the rest of their lives forced to live in abject poverty with pretty much everything they had or will get being confiscated to repay the country. I know that won’t even begin to come close to cover the debts they’ve caused, but it would serve as an example to any other incompetents who might be tempted to have a go.
It was claimed that the coming changes to the country’s tax system means that those who work will be stung big-time and end up worse off, but that benefit payments will keep up with inflation, so (just maybe) I might be better off jacking it all in and retiring?
There was also an interview with the Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer on the matter who (in true Labour party style) just said how crap the Tories were whilst not offering anything tangible of her own.
 
I got to Pembury, I did my bit. At lunch time I had an email from the probate people who had a question for me. Dad's will had listed mum as the principle executor, so why was it me contacting them and not her? I thought better than actually writing "because she's dead, dur!"; instead I tactfully pointed out the obvious failings of the government's "tell us once" service.
As my brother (probably rightly) said, that one question will probably add a couple of months to the process. Had we been doing probate through a solicitor I suspect this question would have cost us quite a bit of money.
 
I wonder if the rain will come back for tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment