7 May 2020 (Thursday) - This n That


I slept like a log until half past two from when I just dozed fitfully. After a few hours I finally gave up trying to sleep and watched an episode of “After Life” as I scoffed a bowl of Tesco’s muesli.
I then sparked up my lap-top to peer into cyber-space as I do most mornings. Nothing really exciting had happened overnight, so I told the world about my ninth choice of movie and had a look at my emails. Netflix were recommending that I might like to watch “The Vicar of Dibley”. I loathe and despise that show.

I spent a few minutes on my Coursera course “Finding Purpose and Meaning in Life”. This morning I was taught a “Loving Kindness Meditation”, but it wouldn’t let me do the end of week assessment unless I paid forty quid. Oh well…  

I set off to work listening to the radio as I went. The pundits on the radio were talking about the possibility of lock-down coming to an end in the next few days. Judging by the huge amount of traffic on the road today, lock-down is already well and truly already over.
There was also talk of how the government recently bought close on half a million surgical gowns from Turkey. After endless delays the RAF were sent to fetch them only to find that the things aren't actually fit for purpose, and they are now  languishing in a warehouse somewhere whilst the government haggles to get its money back.  Good luck to them - have you ever haggled with a Turkish salesman? They don't muck about.
But this is the problem that the health care sector faces at the moment. The market is being flooded with all sorts of personal protective equipment from legitimate suppliers, unscrupulous fly-boys and well-meaning well-wishers, but much of it simply isn't fit for purpose. There were those on the radio who were sneering at the requirements of British Standards, but those requirements are there for a reason. There's no point in wearing a surgical gown if the thing falls off half-way through the operation, is there? And surely everyone has seen the diagrams of how to bodge the face mask ties with paper clips because the home-made ones are giving people sores behind their ears?

The pundits then wheeled on some financial expert or other who seemed obsessed about the recession that coronageddon will invariably cause. It would seem that we are on course for a financial melt-down the likes of which the world hasn't seen since the days of the South Sea Bubble three hundred years ago. I can't help but feel that this just shows the ultimate futility of the capitalist system which is based entirely on greed. It doesn't really work at a time when we need something more compassion and care based, does it? Or am I still just a naive old leftie?

For some reason I headed off to Maidstone this morning when I should have been going to Tunbridge Wells. Woops! But I turned the mishap to my advantage by stopping a few times to remotely zap "Points of Interest" Munzees which I needed to zap as my contribution to the ongoing team (clan) effort as I came down the A26.

I got to work with a few minutes spare, and thought I might treat myself to scrambled egg on toast in the works canteen. I had the last of it, much to the dismay of the chap in the queue behind me. He was not happy I'd had the last of the batch. He flatly refused to wait for two minutes for more to be brought out, and made a point of glaring at me as he ate a bowl of dry cornflakes to demonstrate his chagrin and disgust.
Silly sod.

As I got on with my work so my phone beeped. "er indoors TM"  wasn't happy. I'd left the margarine out and one of the dogs (Pogo?) had eaten it. Not just had a lick or a nibble, but had scoffed the lot. Woops!
My phone also beeped with a message from "er indoors TM" as I drove home. She’d been to the vet’s to get more tablets for Fudge, and when she went back to her car so her battery had died. That was a pain in the glass. I arrived with her just after the nice man from the RAC got there. Fortunately he carried spare batteries. Unfortunately they weren’t cheap.

As I got home I was surprised to see that some scratter had dumped a broken vacuum cleaner in the front garden. That was nice of them. When once all the locals would stand out there clapping the NHS workers on a Thursday, now one of them has dumped their knacked vacuum cleaner into the garden of one of the people they used to be clapping.
The NHS workers didn’t get a clap this evening up our street; the novelty has worn off. But it has been revealed that those in the prison service have had pay enhancements of up to four thousand pounds each during this ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Being clapped and getting about-to-expire Easter eggs was all very well, but I for one would rather have had four thousand pounds in cash. (Is that ungrateful of me?)


No comments:

Post a Comment