29 March 2020 (Sunday) - Stuff


I was sleeping like a log when "er indoors TM" and the wolf-pack all came to bed at half past two (or half past three bearing in mind the clocks went forward). All hell then seemingly broke loose, and mayhem continued right up until five minutes before I had to get up.

Over brekkie I watched an episode of "The Good Place" as I scoffed muesli. The milk might have been past its best, but in this new world order of coronageddon, manky milk is better than no milk, so I made the most of it.
I didn't bother looking at the Internet this morning as I was on a mission; I set off for work.

It was rather cold as I searched for my car. I eventually found it, and as I drove up the motorway the pundits on the radio were talking about religious stuff as they do most Sunday mornings. And (as always) there is an incredibly fine line between "religion" and "stark-staring-nonsense". There was an idiot being interviewed who wasn't at all happy about the advice that churches should not open because of the possibility of spreading the virus. This idiot claimed that the virus had been made by Satan with the express intention of having churches close. He was also adamant that God wouldn't allow any transmission of infection to take place in a church.
I would have thought that if God could have prevented the transmission of the virus then he, she or it might have stepped in a little while ago, but what do I know?
There were then some interviews with people who run crematoriums (crematoria?). It would seem there are no national guidelines for funeral services. Some crematoriums are carrying on as usual. Some are restricting attendances to randomly selected figures between six and twenty-five depending on what the individual crematorium manager decides. And some have closed to the public altogether.
The ones that have closed have come up with an interesting suggestion. They are carrying on cremating the dead. They will present the family of the deceased with the ashes, and a service can be carried on at a later date. It's been suggested that this service doesn't need to be in a crematorium or church. It seems that this idea might catch on, and traditional funeral services might become a thing of the past.
I like the sound of this.
I've got this idea of having my ashes scattered in the depths of Kings Wood, if only to have those few who will cry at my departing trek some miles into the woods to do their blubbing.

I'd left home early and not looked at the Internet this morning so that I would have time to get some shopping, but Aldi was closed. The nice man at the shop said that they were opening at half past nine for NHS workers. I explained that I was an NHS worker and that at half past nine I would be well into my shift. He said that despite all the current crisis the laws governing shop opening hours hadn't changed.
Oh well... they can close the nation on the Prime Minister's say so, but they can't open a supermarket an hour earlier...

Finding myself with some spare time I went into work and had a cooked breakfast. As always I ended up wishing that I hadn't. Their dinners are excellent; brekkie not so.
I got on with my work. Often when working at the weekends I sulk because of what I might be missing. Ironically today much of the country (if not the world) would envy me because I was legitimately allowed to leave the house. Mind you it was raining hard for much of the morning, with the rain periodically giving way to hail. I hear there was sleet and snow back home.

With work done I came home via the branch of M&S at work. I was hoping to get all sorts of shopping bits and bobs, but the shop was more geared up for the lunch market. But they did have some lemon Danish pastries which we had with a cuppa. It was a shame that we made the cuppas with the last of the milk which was definitely past its best.
We took the dogs round the park. There weren’t many people out, and those we met (unlike Friday) were doing social distancing. It was odd; a month ago you’d pass someone on the pavement without a word. Now you all make a point of keeping apart and smile at each other and shout polite pleasantries and apologise for the social distancing.

With walk walked I spent ten minutes re-designing the Lego statue I made yesterday. It’s now vaguely along the lines of the statue of Bill and Ted in San Dimas. Ideally it would be in grey, but they don’t do maxifigure arms in grey. I then had the (frankly genius) idea of re-doing it in blue. I need to do something about the yellow maxifigure heads… I need to get some blue paint or blue indelible marker.

Karl then video-whatsapp-ed and we had a little video chat. We filmed dogs eating turnips, and Treacle seemed intrigued with the video. I need to work out how to cast it to the telly.

Wonder what’s for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment