26 March 2020 (Thursday) - This n That


I had a rather fraught night. I was woken by "er indoors TM" having something of a row with Treacle. I woke in intense pain, and lay in intense pain for some time until I struck on the (frankly genius) idea of rolling over. The pain went right away, and I saw the alarm was due to go off two minutes later. I nodded off and woke seemingly ages later to see it was only three o’clock.
What was that all about?

I watched an episode of “The Good Place” as I scoffed a bowl of muesli, then I had a little look into the internet. Still more people were showing their ignorance on Facebook. It is a sad reflection of our society that any vocal half-wit can become an oracle these days. On a more serious note, one or two people had been laid off as their firms closed up for the foreseeable future as the coronageddon situation worsened. Rather than keeping people on it is cheaper to let them go. I understand that lists of companies doing this are being drawn up. When this is all over we will know where not to spend our money.

I eventually found where I'd left my car and set off to work on a rather cold morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were making a rather poor attempt at describing how testing for corona virus is performed. One can either test for the actual virus which takes an age and costs a fortune. Or one can test for the body's having had a reaction to the virus. This is relatively quick and cheap but has the disadvantage that the test will remain negative until the body has had a reaction which can take a few weeks after the initial infection. Therefore it will have a high incidence of falsely negative results. Perhaps it's because this is what I do every day, but I can't understand why the people on the radio had such a hard time understanding this. It's all rather simple. In fact this has been the case when testing for glandular fever for about a hundred years ever since messers Paul and Bunnell devised their test all those years ago.
There was also an interesting (if chilling) thought posed by the ex-chief scientific advisor to the government. He said that this corona virus pandemic is going to cause a world-wide economic recession, and attempts to alleviate it will make that recession worse. He went on to say that the corona virus will (for the most part) take out those members of our society who are least economically productive, and that a global economic recession would also cause many deaths. He suggested that by *not* treating the elderly and infirm and leaving them to croak we could lessen the effects of the coming global recession and in the long run have less deaths in total.
Is he right?
Is this really how the government is thinking?

I got to work and found that since I was last there the door now had a lock on it and that my swipe card didn't work on that lock.

As I had a cuppa before I started by phone beeped. The geo-feds had checked the locations of the potential new geocaches I'd been working on and had given me the thumbs-up for most of my plan. That was something of a result. There was a minor hiccup with one bit of what I had in mind; I thought that I might sort that on Saturday until I had an email from the head honcho at the forestry commission. He has announced that they have closed all their forests to the general public for the duration of the current emergency.
Why?
I was in one of their woods yesterday for hours and only met three other people. There's far more social isolation to be had in a forest than there is in the local park.

As the day went on I heard of more lunacy. A good friend of mine is the manager of a branch of (let’s call it) a well-known high street store. He’s been told to close up for three weeks. Another branch of the same store not thirty miles away has been told to stay open as that branch is “key workers”.

I came home via Aldi where I got more supplies. I’m getting better at this shopping and got pretty much everything I was after. Some of it (the chili sauce) went into tonight’s dinner. It was rather good….

No comments:

Post a Comment