23 January 2019 (Wednesday) - Little Chart


I came downstairs and had an idea that our smart meter had gone doolally. Usually our combined leccie and gas usage is about seventy pence when I get up. Today it said forty-two pence. By the end of the day it usually gets up to about four quid; last night it didn’t get as far as two pounds fifty. Feeling rather pleased that I was quids in I was rather disappointed when I saw the thing was only showing the price of the leccie. When I switched it to dual fuel it was at one pound nineteen pence. I swore about that, but not as much as when I saw it was over a fiver this evening.

Over brekkie I was rather pleased to find that yesterday’s squabbles on Facebook had died down. Facebook also reminded me that two years ago today I started my new job. I must admit that at the time I was rather nervous about moving to a new place but looking back I wish I’d done it years ago. I quite like working somewhere where I’m not greeted every day with a list of my failings and shortcomings.

With brekkie done it was dog walk time. We *could* have gone round the park again, but instead I loaded the hounds into the car. Treacle and Fudge jumped into the boot; Pogo refused. He had to be lifted in. He doesn’t like car journeys. We drove out to Little Chart. Pogo dribbled a lot, but he wasn’t sick. Once at Little Chart we went on a little geo-wander. There is a little run of geocaches there. Originally it was me that put them out nearly for six years ago. About three years ago in a fit of pique I adopted them out to "er indoors TM". At the time I felt (and still do) that they had run their course and seeing that they are found less than once a month I really wanted to archive the lot and replace them, And also archive the entire series of which they are a part and replace the lot with something new. But I was outvoted, and I sulked.
But they made for an ideal little walk this morning. We walked from the car for two and a half kilometres, only seeing one other person (and no other dogs) while we were out. The only real down side to the stroll was that being a linear series of geocaches, when we got to the last one we had to come back along the route we’d taken.
I took a few photos as we walked. As you can see on one of the photos someone had set up some sort of shelter not five yards from one of the caches. Clearly they had no idea it was there.

Once back at the car, all dogs hopped into the car’s boot; Pogo had no issues with the journey home. Once home I brushed the mud off the dogs, put some shirts into wash, and waited for the carpet fitter to arrive. We’d arranged for him to come and give us an estimate today. He was due at mid-day; he turned up at half-past one having completely forgotten all about us. Whoops. Mind you his estimate for carpeting the hall and stairs was about half of what I thought it might be, so it wasn’t all bad.
Once he’d gone I got on with the ironing whilst watching episodes of “Prison Break” until the next appointment of the day. The carpet man had been over an hour late; the plumber was over an hour early. The radiator in “Trap One” had been dripping recently. After five minutes with a spanner the nice plumber-man said that he thought he’d sorted it and suggested I keep an eye on it.

"er indoors TM" boiled me up a pie with some chips then went off on a little mission of her own. I settled down in front of the telly. “SAS: Who Dares Wins”, “The Good Place”, “Prison Break”, “Little Britain”… I’m a bit bored with the telly now…

No comments:

Post a Comment