8 January 2019 (Tuesday) - Stuff


I made the mistake of not hoiking the duvet to my side of the bed last night, and so I shivered a little. I got up, and bearing in mind that Christmas is pretty much over I stood on the scales. Sixteen and a half stones – that’s a tad porkier than I’d like.
Over a brekkie of granola I watched another episode of “Prison Break” whilst Fudge sat with me and snored, then I sparked up my lap-top and peered into cyber-space. As usual people who should know better were posting all sorts of crap on social media. There is no algorithm which means you only see twenty-five people’s posts on Facebook, smart meters do not cause every illness known to science. I responded to these with a little meme of my own.
I had an email – Amazon was trying to sell me the very records I’d tried (and failed) to sell a week ago. And with nothing else of note on-line, I got myself organised and set off work-wards.

It was rather dark as I headed up the motorway this morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were talking about how recent reports have shown that the country needs three million new homes.  There was also talk about how more and more people can't afford to retire as a pension isn't enough to pay the rent on the house they live in. Again the distinction was made between "homes" as an investment from which people make money, and "social housing" in which people actually live.
I can remember back in the 1980s when houses suddenly became a "commodity"; when we were trying to buy our first house they went up in price by a thousand pounds each month. A nice return on your investment for the rich... not so nice for people wanting somewhere to live.
There are those who blame Margaret Thatcher for that, and for all the wanton greed of the 1980s. Looking back I think I now blame the Labour party for deliberately making themselves unelectable for over ten years and creating the conditions for wanton greed to run unchecked. Amazingly the Labour party are currently again bending over backwards to leave the nation in the hands of a crackpot with no viable alternative government. History really does repeat itself, doesn't it?
And then the Brexit secretary came on the radio and managed to talk for ten minutes without actually saying anything. With no effective opposition he can say what he likes, can't he?

 The "Thought For The Day" boiled my piss (again). Apparently it is all very well for science to look for answers to the "big questions" such as "why are we here", "what's life all about", "is God really real, or is there some doubt?". But religion would rather science didn't do that. It seems that the trouble with science is that it does its research on the basis of finding evidence and having repeatable results. Religion is apparently far better for the big questions because you can just believe in whatever old codswallop you like without feeling any need to prove anything. And then change your mind entirely next week.
I used to have religion back in the day. During the 1980s when Margaret Thatcher was running unchecked...

I got to work, and had a rather busy day. I seem to be having quite a few of those at the moment. And with work done I came home to find that the dogs had eaten a tin of biscuits. Treacle is the primary suspect for opening the tin, but all are probably guilty of devouring its contents.

"er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner. We scoffed it whilst watching “The Queen and I” which was something of a disappointment as I slept through most of it…

No comments:

Post a Comment