16 January 2019 (Wednesday) - Macaroon


I thought I was a tad under the weather yesterday; I slept right through until the alarm went off this morning. That rarely happens.
Over brekkie I watched another episode of "Prison Break" during which I realised something. In nearly four seasons of the show our heroes (and villains) have been able to withstand hails of bullets without being harmed, and on the very rare occasion when they are hit, even a bullet right through the brain is shaken off with no more than a plaster and a bit of ointment. However the minor characters and henchmen are felled stone-dead by nothing more substantial than a vigorous fart.

I set off to Pembury through a rather wet morning. As I drove, the pundits on the radio were talking about the utter political shambles following the Prime Minister's defeat in Parliament last night. Her plans for a Brexit agreement had been thrown out in the largest Parliamentary defeat in history. Unless a miracle happens Brexit either won't happen, or the UK will be subject to all the rules and regulations that Brexit was supposed to remove, and the UK will have no say in the EU decision-making (which is *exactly* what we are giving away by leaving the EU).
I'm not sure that was what anyone had in mind, but what do I know?

Interestingly the vicar who was wheeled on to blather platitudes in the "Thought for the Day" suggested that the politicians squabbling about Brexit might stop squabbling and be polite to each other. Whilst I agree with the sentiment it isn't going to solve the political impasse.. or might it be the way forward?
Also in the same vein was talk about how OFSTED (the schools inspectors) aren't going to put such emphasis on exam results in future. Instead they will be looking at how much effort children put in to their studies, how much or little bullying happens in schools, what pastoral care is offered, and all the sorts of things on which a school *should* be judged. Apparently the teachers are up in arms as this will mean more work for them. The poor things.

I got to work and did my bit. I'm on a two-day secondment to Pembury and (as is commonly said) "a change is as good as a rest". I got to scoff a macaroon at tea time. There wasn’t much of it.
With work done I came home (as one does). Over a rather good bit of dinner I watched the first episode of the current season of Channel Four’s “Hunted”. At the end of the show they ran an advert asking for people who would like to be contestants in the next series. I wouldn’t mind having a go at that…
​​

No comments:

Post a Comment