2 January 2019 (Wednesday) - Margarine


I would have slept better had I been allowed any of the duvet, but waking shivering every half-hour wasn't conducive to a good night. I got up ten minutes before the alarm was due to go off, and over a bowl of granola (no margarine for toast!) I watched an episode of "Bottom" (Skullcrusher Henderson - nursey jugfest) before setting off to work. For all that the cars weren't iced up it was a very cold morning.

As I drove I listened to the radio. They would seem to have dropped the "guest editor" idea and gone back to stories which don't seem to have someone's vested interests in mind. There was a rather worrying article about how the Foreign Office has been getting involved in stopping forced arranged marriages of British citizens who have been tricked into going abroad. Whilst what they have done is very laudable, it is something of a scandal for the Foreign Office to then send a bill to the poor people they've rescued.
To add insult to injury the Foreign Office claim told the people on the radio that you can pay the bill in instalments at a better rate of interest than that charged by many store credit cards.

It was announced that some lucky person had won over a hundred million pounds on the Euro-lottery. Whilst I don't need over a hundred million pounds, I certainly want it. I spent much of today pondering what I would buy with a hundred million quid. A large house with a fishery would be high on the list.

Meanwhile China has announced plans to annex Taiwan. That should be good for a fight...

The roads were noticeably busier than they have been for a week or so, but I made good time to Maidstone. With a few minutes spare I went to get petrol. Petrol is four pence per litre cheaper in Maidstone than Ashford. And when you factor in the Nectar points, I made a saving of about the price of half a pint of beer. That's better than a poke up the bum. It was only a shame that my credit card didn't work. The chip was playing up so I had to swipe it and sign the scrap of paper. How ten-years-ago!

Work was work; but an early start made for an early finish. I came home, walked the dogs round the road and put the kettle on. I fancied a cup of coffee and some malt loaf… until I remembered there was no margarine. Instead I had the last mince pie and looked at geo-puzzles until "er indoors TM" came home. She was a few minutes late having gone to get margarine. Apparently Treacle ate it all last night.

Over a rather good bit of dinner we watched the Christmas episode of “Bake Off”; I’ve missed that show…

No comments:

Post a Comment