1 June 2017 (Thursday) - Between the Night Shifts

As I drove home from the late shift the pundits on the radio were discussing last night’s television. The leaders of all of the UK’s main political parties had featured in a live debate. All but one… The Prime Minister didn’t show.
That surely speaks volumes.

I didn’t come straight home; instead I picked up "My Boy TM"; I’d dragooned him into helping me for a few minutes. I needed help carrying a fence panel home from B&Q; he was adamant that it would fit in my car. However he was also of the opinion that fence panels were seriously cheap in B&M Bargains as was fishing bait.
We drove to B&M Bargains to find that not only were the fence panels far too big to fit in my car, but B&M Bargains wouldn’t open for another half an hour.
We went to B&Q, got the fence panel and carried it home. I wasn’t going to pay them twenty quid to drive it round the corner. We walked back to B&Q’s car park to get my car, and I drove "My Boy TM" home then came home myself.

Fudge still isn’t right. I fed him his brekkie and slipped a tramidol into it. He then wandered around in a dopey daze; periodically yelping in pain as he walked awkwardly. I settled him in his basket and told him to stay put.
I made myself a spot of brekkie and had a look-see on-line. My piss boiled somewhat. A few years ago I received a formal written warning from my then-employer for bringing the hospital in which I worked into disrepute. My crime was that I posted a photo of myself taken during a night shift with the caption “tired”. Yesterday people working for that same employer posted all sorts of derogatory things in a thread basically saying what a grotty day they’d had. And to add insult to injury, rather than taking a firm line. senior managers had seen it and clicked the “like” button.
I wonder if I really had been singled out?

I took myself off to bed and slept for five hours. Not too shabby at all. I woke and watched an episode of “Archer”; I’d seen adverts for the show. It looked funny but it wasn’t. It was just American rubbish with canned laughter played at random intervals. What a disappointment.

I put on some old clothes, and got another fence panel painted before "er indoors TM" boiled up a rather good bit of dinner.
I’m off to another late shift now. Historically the day between two night shifts was always dull, and it seems that nothing has changed…

No comments:

Post a Comment