15 January 2023 (Sunday) - Early Shift

For once I slept like a log until my phone's alarm told me (quite literally) to "get your arse out of its pit". I came downstairs, got the puppies arses out of their pit, and once they were sorted I made brekkie. As everyone else snored I watched the second-to-last episode of "The Pentaverate". I had hoped the show might perk up as it went along, but with only one episode to go, any perking up has been left rather late.
I could really have done with some perking up myself. Hammering the Drambuie last night hadn’t been one of my more genius moves, and there’s no denying that had there been anyone else at work with me today I would have pulled a sickie.
Taking care not to disturb anyone (too much) I got ready for work, then wandered down the road to find my car... remembered where I'd left it, turned round and wandered up the road instead.
 
It was rather cold as I drove up the motorway, and rather busy too. What were so many  people doing driving at seven o'clock on a Sunday morning?
As I drove the "Farming Today" program was on the radio in which several New Zealander farmers were singing the praises of agri-tourism which is big business down under. It would seem there's more money in having a farm which is all for show and charging people to come visit than there is in running a real farm. Going for a day out at the farm? It really would seem that visiting a farm is a big adventure to the average Kiwi. One such farm visitor being interviewed had no idea that baby cows drank milk (let alone where milk came from), and thought that cows, and alpacas were both varieties of sheep.
One of the farmers being interviewed was talking about the pigs in his farm which are useless for meat, but have been bred for their sociable nature so that visitors can pet them.
 
There's no denying that I wasn't keen on having to work today. For some inexplicable reason (!) I felt rather grim today. As I did my bit I found myself staring out the window at a rather beautiful day. It poured hard pretty much all day yesterday, but today when I was at work (note I say "at work" and not "working" - a subtle distinction!) it was glorious.
In between sprints to the toilet I did that which I couldn’t avoid. Today was a rather quiet day really, which was probably for the best. There’s no denying that I wasn’t on top form today, and was rather glad when home time came.
 
I came home to find the house smelling wonderful. “er indoors TM had been busy boiling up the most wonderful curries. “My Boy TM” and Cheryl soon arrived, and we all set about scoffing. Different sorts of rice, five different curries, samosas and naan breads… and a particularly good flanny- thing for afters too.
Mind you, my innards weren’t right before I started on the curries. Was scoffing far too much a mistake?
Time will tell – it always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment