14 January 2023 (Saturday) - Rather Busy

I woke to the sound of the rain, rolled over and went back to sleep. I woke a little later to hear no rain and smiled. I took the puppies outside to find it was pouring down outside. How did that work? They did their thing and went to bother a sleeping “er indoors TM. Two soggy dogs made her sit up and take notice.
I made toast and watched the fourth episode of “The Pentaverate”. In the introductory monologue the narrator (Jeremy Irons) said that this was episode four so if you’ve watched it that far you might as well carry on with the rest. And that was why I carried od watching. If you’ve not seen the show, don’t bother.
 
I then sparked up the laptop. There was an interesting discussion on Facebook about capital punishment where a very middle-class chap (who I have known since 1975) was pondering on the morality of imprisoning someone for the rest of their life. There were all sorts of opinions being expressed. Some were saying that execution was too good for them, others felt that a stern talking-to would make offenders see the error of their ways.
Whilst no laws can be absolute (which is why we need judges and juries) I can’t help but think that people break whatever law is being broken because for them the benefits of doing so far outweigh  any consequences their action might bring.
I once worked with a chap from the deepest parts of China who would leave his six-year-old daughter having her dinner in the works canteen. When we explained about how it isn’t safe to leave children on their own, he explained that in his home village there was a stocks where wrong-doers got put, and villagers would throw things at them. Traditionally we think of rotten fruit, but apparently on the one time in living memory when the stocks was used people threw bricks. And so everyone behaved themselves.
Or take when I was at school. I for one was terrified by the thought of the cane and so didn’t muck about. The headmaster had a cane and anyone who sodded about sufficiently would get “two of the best” (NOT six). They would have a sore arse for a day, and a thousand boys would behave themselves for ages.
Or look at how children carry on these days. When my two were small if they sodded about they got a crack on the bum and they knew it. Those people who disagreed with corporal punishment either had no children of their own, or had the most ill-behaved brats.
As a leader in the Boys Brigade and in the Scouts I would watch other leaders trying to reason with recalcitrant brats who were openly laughing at reason.
Generally (there are some exceptions) crimes are committed because there is little deterrent. With a harsher penal system, people behave themselves and crime is lower.
It has been my experience that those who don’t subscribe to the “hang ‘em high” philosophy are some of the best and most decent people I have ever met, but really don’t understand that not everyone holds their values.
 
Seeing the rain had slacked off to a medium monsoon I chivvied the puppies out of bed. Leaving Treacle and “er indoors TM snoring I took the small ones to dog club. I rather expected a poor turn-out, but in (yet another) triumph of idiot enthusiasm over common sense loads of people ventured the weather and brought their dogs to the swamp which was the field at Repton Community Centre.
There are those who wouldn’t see the fun in standing in a swamp watching dogs running riot (whilst getting tiddled on three times), but the dogs love it, and so do I.
 
As we drove there and drove home we listened to Steve on the radio. I strained my brain on the mystery year… “Poldark”, “Space 1999”, “The Growing Pains Of PC Penrose”…  I was confident that it was 1976… then changed my mind to 1978.
Google told me it was 1975. I suppose I was close…
We carried on listening to Steve as we then drove to Sainsburys. “er indoors TM  went into Sainsburys; I went off to get petrol. Far be it from me to disrespect those who fixed the car’s bodywork before Christmas, but before the car went in for fixing the trip meter would get to five hundred miles before the “need fuel” light comes on. Now it comes on just after four hundred miles. All the fix-it people did was bodywork; there’s nothing they could have done which would have caused this… but over the last month I’ve been getting a hundred miles less per tank.
I drove on to Sainsburys and chivvied “er indoors TM out.
 
We came home, and I spent three more hours working (struggling with) the Lego pirate ship that a colleague gave me late last year. Last Sunday I said of the thing “She’d warned me that some of the bits were missing. I’m not sure the instructions were the original ones either…”. I can quite understand why she and her children had given up with it. I was making full use of my spare Lego today. I stopped at the point where I found the Lego anchor was missing. I shall have to think about how I might make one of those.
 
We got ourselves organised and set off for Sittingbourne. A friend was having a surprise get-together for her boyfriend. I must admit I wasn't keen on leaving the dogs, but Charlotte had volunteered to dog-wrangle. As we approached Karl and Tracy's house so Treacle recognised the area and got incredibly excited. The puppies picked up on the excitement and it all got a bit much for Morgan who disgraced himself on the laminate flooring. It happens to the best of us from time to time.
Perhaps we might replace the carpets with laminate flooring?
 
As Charlotte dog-wrangled so the taxi arrived and we went into Sittingbourne where quite a few of us had a rather good evening which got progressively more vague  as the evening went by.
Hic!

No comments:

Post a Comment