3 October 2018 (Wednesday) - Late Shift


I slept well up until tiddle time at four o’clock. From then on my sleep was plagued by rather vivid dreams of a place where once I worked. There are vague talks of workplace mergers and I’m desperately hoping I don’t get transferred back. I wasn’t overly happy with the working environment when I left the place, and the other day I bumped in to one of the senior managers from there (who ironically I once trained). She told me the atmosphere was worse than ever…
I have a naïve hope that in any possible merger I might get paid off with an early retirement. Somehow I doubt it, but hope springs eternal.

Over brekkie I had a look-see at the Internet. A whole load of new puzzle geocaches had gone live near where I sometimes work in Pembury. That might be something to do in a month or so when I am next there. Facebook presented its usual brand of stuff; pictures of fluffy animals, knob jokes, attention-seeking rants, utterly wrong so-called facts… I wish I had invented Facebook; I’d be coining it in.

I got the leads on to the dogs and we went for a little walk round the park. As we walked I nearly laughed out loud at Treacle. She’d seen a cat. She was watching it intently, and she kept glancing at Fudge. Whilst she wanted to chase the cat, she wouldn’t be anywhere near brave enough to chase it alone. Fudge hadn’t noticed the cat. The cat however had seen the dogs and was watching them with great interest. As cats do.
We carried on round the park, and met OrangeHead and her posse. We exchanged pleasantries; it was a shame that Fudge tried to mount her mate’s Scottie. It is some years since the vet removed Fudge’s “apparatus” but still he tries it on with other dogs.

Once home I settled the dogs and set off in the general direction of work. I went off to get an anniversary card for tomorrow. Why is it wedding anniversary cards are filled with soppy twee nonsense? Why don't they make cards that say something along the lines of "yeah whatever - here's a card"?

As I often do before the late shift I thought I might have a little geo-adventure. At the moment I seem to have appointed myself to be a branch of the geo-police, and am checking the local geocaches which haven't been found for ages, and (mostly) reporting that they are missing. Either by mentioning to the person who hid them (if they are still actively looking under rocks themselves) with a gentle suggestion to have a look-see at their missing pot. Or by squealing to the geo-feds (if they are not) who will then dispatch the thing to obscurity.
But sometimes these supposedly missing caches *are* there. Today's first one seemed to have gone walkabout, but the second one soon came to light after I'd had a little rummage in a hedgerow. I got so excited at finding a cache which hadn't been found for over a year that I completely forgot that I'd climbed into a hedge and had got myself firmly wedged in, and I nearly did myself a mischief when (without thinking) I tried to stand up and walk away. It would have been rather amusing to anyone who might have been watching. It also would probably have looked incredibly suspicious to anyone who might have been watching.

I drove in to work, and once I found a parking space (there weren't many today) I went to the works canteen. On Monday a colleague said that the canteen had started cooking pizza to order. Yesterday another colleague had said how good they were. Today I tried one. At just under four quid a pop they aren't too shabby at all.

And so to work. The boss was grumbling that her children have announced that they have gone vegetarian and she now has to cook two separate dinners every evening. I suggested that she might tell them that the vegetarian alternative is that the fruits of her loin cook it themselves. Unfortunately she wasn't keen on starting that fight. I say "unfortunately" - it is unfortunate for her; not for me…

I had a rather busy day today, even If I did rather disgrace myself by falling asleep whilst the trainees were having a little lecture. I would have got away with it had one of the trainees not started giggling as I nearly fell off my seat.
I was rather glad to see the relief arrive at nine o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment