28 March 2018 (Wednesday) - After The Night Shift

Yesterday evening as I drove in to work I had a little mooch around the village sign at Sissinghurst. I had to get some information to solve a geo-puzzle there. The idea was that I would go find that puzzle on the way home today. When I left work this morning it was raining so hard that I decided to save rummaging in a hedge for another day.
As I drove home the pundits on the radio were talking about a remarkable initiative that the government is planning to introduce. The price of many items will be slightly increased, but the packaging of those items will have a refund value. So… you buy whatever, you use it or scoff it, then you take the empty container back to the shop where you get money for returning it. Just like I used to do with bottles of pop at the corner shop fifty years ago.
Not a new idea, really.

When I came home this morning my piss boiled. I pulled up just up the road from my house and started reversing into a parking space. A white van (LY15 RNO) sped up the road, then reversed across the traffic into the space into which I was already reversing. I had the choice to have this van deliberately crash in to me, or to get out of its way.
I moved.

I had planned to meet up with "Daddy’s Little Angel TM" and "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" for a walk this morning, but the rain was against us. Instead I took my dogs for a quick walk round the block; we didn’t go far as the rain was getting worse.
I then took myself off to bed for the day. Or that was my plan. The phone wouldn’t stop ringing. Eventually I gave up and answered it. Someone calling from 0161 768 5221 was calling me from “the PPI money refund advice service”. I tried to explain I was asleep having been on night shift, but they wouldn’t shut up. In the end I asked them what part of “F… off” didn’t they understand; was it the “F…” or the “off”. Unfortunately either the sarcasm went over their head, or their spoken English was too poor for them to understand.
I looked this number up on “Who Called Me (dot co dot uk)”; it looks like they are a bunch of scammers.
I dozed off again, but I gave up trying to sleep when Fudge had his seemingly ten thousandth woofing fit.

I scoffed some toast, then watched the last two episodes of the first season of “Star Trek: Discovery”. I shall watch the second season purely because it has “Star Trek” in the name. It is pretty obvious that the special effects people have watched some episodes of Star Trek before. I just hope that the writers of this second season actually go do so. It is pretty obvious that they haven’t.
As I watched telly I did some ironing. A dull task, but it keeps me out of mischief.
I then had a look at my monthly accounts. Could be better, could be a whole lot worse. Realistically the trouble with money is that no matter how much I have, I want more. I might not *need* more, but I certainly want more.

Seeing how the rain had finally stopped I took the dogs round the park. As we walked up the road so Fudge tried to pick a fight with a moped. I wish he wouldn’t do that.
For once the dogs were reasonably well-behaved (mopeds excepted), but our walk was marred by some total idiots we encountered. One woman walking down Beaver Road jumped into someone’s front garden and started screaming. She claimed she was frightened of dogs. My dogs were frightened of her. And then we met another plank who blanked me and tried to fuss Treacle, then had a go at my poor dog-keeping skills because Treacle was scared of her. Perhaps the lack of sleep had clouded my usually sunny demeanor; I suggested she left my dog alone because if the dog didn’t bite her, I would.

I then drove across town to collect "er indoors TM". Her car had been serviced (I should be so lucky) and she needed a lift to the garage.
With cars collected we had a rather good bit of dinner whilst watching the charity edition of “Bake Off”. We also had the Tattoo Fixers special on, but I slept through that.

No comments:

Post a Comment