5 March 2018 (Monday) - Another Late Shift

A good night’s sleep; it would have been better had Fudge not made himself *quite* so comfortable.
I had something of a sense of relief as I had my morning scrub; last night the water had been off for much of the county. With our only water reserve being the garden pond, I was rather pleased to find the taps were still working.
Over brekkie I sparked up my lap-top whilst the dogs had a scrap. They do like their play-fighting. This morning I didn’t have a single notification on Facebook. Not one. I had no emails worth mentioning either. I spent a little while on Google trying to find pond shops on my route to work, then took the dogs out.

As we walked up the road there was a rather large dog tethered outside the newsagents. Treacle gave him some serious attitude form the safety of the other side of the road. If she’d met him face to face she would have run in terror.
We wandered through Bowen’s Field and on to the park. We met some woman we’d not met before on a dog walk. She had six dogs with her ranging in size from something slightly smaller than a gerbil to one which would have won a fight with a bear. She seemed rather stressed. I find having two dogs to be difficult enough.
We came home. Whilst Fudge (finally) ate his breakfast, Treacle searched the house and garden for "er indoors TM" who had clearly gone to work. Being unable to find her, the silly puppy then started to cry. Both dogs make no secret of who their favourite human in the family is.

I spent a couple of minutes getting the fluorescent tube out of the fish pond filter (so I would know what one to get from the shop), settled the dogs and set off. I'd planned to get a new fluorescent tube for the garden pond on my way to work this morning. So (to brighten what might otherwise be a dull morning) I'd planned my journey to work via several geocaches which were (vaguely) on the way to the pond shop.

I started my little adventure with a double failure at Horsmonden church. There were supposedly two caches in the vicinity. I solved the puzzle for one to find it was three hundred yards away across a quagmire, and the other looked to have gone with a landslide.

Yesterday I'd been to Horsmonden village to get the information to solve three puzzle geocaches there. I say "there" - the information for the puzzles was there. One of the caches wasn't too far away so I went for that one. As I acted suspiciously by a fence I was being watched by a chap who was driving past at slower than walking speed. I gave him the sickliest of smiles, and he soon pissed off. I thought about hunting out the other two puzzles I'd solved yesterday but the final locations for them were some distances away in woodlands. I didn't fancy stomping through the mud today so I gave those a miss.
Mind you I did get another cache there which I found whilst visiting the municipal toilets. You don't see municipal toilets very often these days, do you?

I carried on up the road to my next port of call where I met with mixed results. I found one cache (in sad need of maintenance) on a post box, but couldn't solve the puzzle near the church as there were builders doing builder things right where I needed to be. Similarly a mile up the road I was thwarted by a cyclist. The given clue for the geocache at this place was "take a seat"; I got to the bench to find a cyclist disassembling his bike on that very bench. It was near there that I also couldn't get the clues for a puzzle based on an Oast house as I couldn't find anywhere to park.
It was with a sense of relief that I solved a puzzle in Matfield church and found a film pot not far away.
Four finds and seven fails; that's a piss-poor success rate.

Mind you from Matfield church it was only half a mile to Pelagic Aquatics. I went in to find a rather pleasant young lady cleaning out the snakes. She let me help; it was such fun playing with the royal pythons. And there was a rather huge Burmese python too. I got rather gooey-eyed with one pastel-shaded royal python. Do I want snakes again... maybe.
I spent so long in there that I nearly forgot to get the new bit for the fish pond filter.
I went on to work via the Notcutts garden centre. Overpriced and pretentious; I didn't hang around for long.

For the last year when on the late shift I would have McLunch, but with no McDonalds anywhere nearby I've taken to using the hospital canteen for dinner. It is reasonably priced, the good is good, and it is served quickly. Today's cauliflower, broccoli and tomato in cheese sauce was rather good. And I didn't have any chips either.

After my little adventure, the late shift was something of an anticlimax…

No comments:

Post a Comment