16 February 2018 (Friday) - Money Down The Drain

I didn’t sleep that well last night; I lay awake for much of the night thinking about the professional emergencies with which I dealt yesterday. I wish I didn’t do that quite so often; worrying about work-related matters is a habit I’d like to get out of. Mind you I might have slept better had the dogs not been sprawled across the bed in wanton luxury as they so often do.
Over brekkie I watched the first episode of the third season of “Plebs” in which our heroes were sacrificed in the arena. I spent much of the day giggling at Landlord’s line of “Shit the bed! – It’s a lion!”. However I recognised the actress who played Marcus’s gaul-friend. She once played the part of a lesbian robot in the show “Humans”.

I had a quick look-see at the Internet. There was little of note on Facebook, but the power company had sent me an email. Thanks to my wonderful new smart meter they’ve changed the amount I pay for leccie and gas each month. But despite the meters saying that the amount of leccie and gas I use each day is now costing far more than it used to be, they’ve decreased the monthly direct debit payment by one quid each month.
What’s that all about?

I smeared some Preparation H onto my tattoo, and taking care not to wake "er indoors TM" or the dogs I set off work-wards once I’d scraped the ice from the car. It was cold this morning.
As I drove out of Ashford the pundits on the radio were interviewing some idiot or other from the Religious Education Council of England and Wales who was banging on about how paying maths and science teachers more (because those subjects matter) means there is a shortage of teachers for the school subjects which really don’t matter. Like R.E. The twit being interviewed seemed to think that the ability to spout platitudes and having imaginary friends was on a par with knowing how to add and subtract.
There was then a *lot* of talk about the latest school massacre in America. For the twenty-eighth time this year there has been a massacre in an American school. The obvious answer is for the American government to bring in proper sensible gun laws. However all the talk coming across the Atlantic is that the FBI were negligent, that the teachers should be armed…. Why do our American cousins *need* weapons?

I’d taken a rather circuitous route to work… I picked up a geocache on the way and took a detour to Tesco to get loads of doughnuts to take in to work.
I had another busy day, but with the doughnuts at least I was Mr Popular today.

I came home (as I do) and once I’d walked the dogs, "er indoors TM" came home with fish and chips. We scoffed them whilst watching an episode of “The Orville”. That show is finally ditching its ridiculous aspects and becoming watchable. Mind you there has only been a dozen or so Orville episodes so far. With over seven hundred episodes already, pretty much every story that the Orville does has already been done by Star Trek.
Tonight’s episode featured a guest appearance by Robert Picardo, but the story was done far better by the Star Trek episode “Elementary, Dear Data” and the Red Dwarf episode “Back to Reality”.

As we watched Fudge sat with me chomping on a bone. We thought Treacle was also chomping on a bone. She wasn’t. She was chomping on a twenty quid note.

No comments:

Post a Comment