28 February 2018 (Wednesday) - Home At Last

When I packed my emergency overnight bag yesterday I’d forgotten to pack my CPAP machine, and so I didn’t really sleep that well.  I saw every hour of the night, but finally got to sleep properly just after six o’clock and slept through to half past eight.
I got up to find I’d also forgotten to pack toothpaste and a razor.

I had a quick look at the Internet via my phone before I got up. I saw this blog had received a couple of comments. Someone claiming to be called Bindu J was saying nice things about what I’d written on June 12 2017 in a thinly veiled attempt to advertise her washing machine shop in Hyderabad, and someone using the name of Charles C Hagaman had waxed loquacious about my rant on 4 January of this year as he tried to plug his car servicing business.
I wish these people wouldn’t waste my time.

"Daddy’s Little Angel TM" texted me… what was the weather like? I didn’t know. I’d not looked out of the window. Yesterday’s overnight stay had been something of an adventure, but I didn’t want to do it again. Yesterday had been fun; the first night in over thirty years that I’d been stuck at work because of the snow. But the novelty had worn off; I wanted to go home. Or, to be more precise, I wanted to *be* home. I didn’t want the journey.
Had it snowed more overnight? From Facebook it looked as though it was cold everywhere, but no one had mentioned more snow. I had a look-see. Lots of snow, but probably no more than there had been last night.

I fiddled about a bit, then got myself together and waddled off in the general direction of work. As I walked there were endless children going to and fro, all looking forward to a snow day. Part of me was grumping that they should be at school. Part of me thought they should make the most of the snow.

I had fancied brekkie in the nearby Notcutts garden centre’s restaurant. But the place wasn’t open. All of the staff were clearing snow from the car park. Unnecessarily I thought. They’d cleared enough to be getting on with; shouldn’t someone go cook breakfast? Fortunately the hospital’s canteen came up trumps.

I got in to work a couple of hours earlier than I needed to. But I was at something of a loose end. With nothing else to do I wrote up some CPD before getting on with that which I couldn’t avoid. I spent much of today alternating between looking out the window (no more snowing) and looking at Kent travel websites trying to work out the best way home. In the end the decision was made for me. Having decided that I would take the A228 to the motorway and then home the chap on the night shift came in to say there was a five-car pile-up on that road. The only option was the way I found was blocked yesterday.

Despite having been very worried about the drive home, it was fine. The roads were not blocked. There was some snow on the road near Goudhurst, but I got home in the same time that I usually do.
I’d been away for thirty-six hours. It was good to be home again…

No comments:

Post a Comment