5 January 2018 (Friday) - Dull

As I drove home from a rather horrible night shift the pundits on the radio were spewing their usual band of drivel. There was a lot of talk about a scrappage scheme in which people can trade in their diesel-powered cars at advantageous terms. It makes sense to get rid of the diesel cars because of all the damage they do to the environment. But the question of who pays for the scrappage scheme remains to be answered. It strikes me that the answer is rather obvious. Diesel cars became popular because government information said how economical they were. Since the government made them so popular, it is only right that the government pay for the mistake.
There was also a lot of talk about a levy of twenty-five pence being put on each cup of coffee bought from the likes of Costa and Starbucks to pay for the cup they come in. Billed as recyclable, it turns out they are not.
I don’t think twenty-five pence is unreasonable. If someone can afford three quid for a cup of coffee then what is twenty-five pence to them? Three quid for a cup of coffee?! How do people afford this? At work we have a tea club. I pay two quid a month for two coffees a day. That’s five pence a cup.

Once home I took the dogs for a little walk. We bypassed Bowens Field because of the floods. But the route we were going to take was also flooded. So we went round the black alley. When we were half way round the heavens opened and we got soaked.
We came home where Treacle piddled on the carpet.
I got *so* cross with her. We’d been out for half an hour. Why couldn’t she have done that on the walk? She’d managed a rather substantial download whilst we were out. Why not go the whole hog?

I too myself off to bed. As I walked out of t he living room I saw a very sheepish Treacle watching me. She wanted to come up, but she knew I was cross with her. I told her she could come up, and (unlike yesterday) she settled herself on the side of the bed and didn’t fidget at all as I slept.
I managed five hours sleep (which wasn’t bad) before getting up an dozing in front of the telly until "er indoors TM" came home.

I’m off to another night shift now. The days between night shifts are dull…

No comments:

Post a Comment