7 August 2018 (Tuesday) - Between the Night Shifts


As I drove home after a rather busy night shift I found the morning’s news rather depressing. There was an interview with one of the leading lights of one of the many factions involved in the seemingly never-ending conflict in the Middle East. This chap had the solution to all the conflict in the Middle East; every other faction should just admit that they are wrong and that his bunch are right. The chap being interviewed conceded that everyone else involved in the Middle East felt that way, but insisted that everyone else should be ignored because they were wrong and he was right.
There was talk about how Katie Price had made forty-six million quid by getting her tits out, then pissed that forty-six million quid up a wall and is today going to be declared bankrupt.
There was talk about how Arsenal football club is to  be sold; it is worth nearly two billion quid.
Meanwhile the climate is about to undergo irreversible change and the only person on the radio with any suggestions for putting things right was the idiot doing “Thought For The Day” who suggested we should pray. How does that work? I don’t understand prayer. You find yourself in a shitty situation (which presumably God could have prevented) and then you ask God to sort it out. And when nothing happens you blather platitudes to make excuses for God not doing anything. Or am I missing something?
This isn’t the future I was expecting when I was a lad. The planet is knackered but people are more interested in tits and football whilst society worldwide is still in the grip of crackpot religions. Are we in a new dark age? It certainly seems so sometimes.

I got home and took the dogs out. Fudge seemed to be determined to get run over by a bike; he flatly refused to get out of the cycle paths. As we went round the park we could see that quite a few more caravans had arrived in the park for the fun fair. All of them were running electricity from the grey leccie boxes in the park (despite the boxes being padlocked). I wonder if I might do that?
Pausing only briefly to exchange pleasantries with OrangeHead we came home, and I took myself off to bed.

I got a few hours sleep; not as much as I might have liked, but it was a hot day. I gave up trying to sleep in the mid-afternoon and watched “Gotham” and “Orange is the New Black” until it was time for the dentist. I had been threatened with a root canal filling, but in the end it was just (just!) a rather deep filling.

With tooth filled I walked the dogs round the park again whilst the anaesthetic wore off. Even more caravans and fun fair stuff had arrived. As we walked I saw several squirrels. My dogs didn’t. Sometimes they are so unobservant.

Today has been rather miserable. I’m off to another night shift soon. Let’s hope the Czech lorry from Marek transport with registration 6M2 6869 doesn’t try to run me off the road (like they tried yesterday)…

No comments:

Post a Comment