16 June 2014 (Monday) - This N That

I spent a few minutes yesterday evening and this morning looking at the calendar for the next few weeks and months. I had several plans in mind which I hadn't actually written down; I've now updated my calendar for the summer months.
Bearing in mind how few camping events we have this year I'm also looking to next summer to get some camping events pencilled in. There's a Kent Mega geo-event at the first bank holiday in May next year, and a simular event in Essex at the end of July. In the past I've been to kite events, but they can be rather dispproving of people who aren't actually flying kites for every hour of every day.

And then brekkie. "Furry Face TM" was apparntly worn out from yesterdays walk and snored through tis morning's episode of "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin"; a classic episode in which Reggie went to a safari park.

Off to work. As I drove I had a wry smile at the rain. I had been rather conscious that had things gone to plan we would have been camping this weekend. Monday morning would have been "take-down" when we put the tents away. Had we actually been camping this weekend, this morning I would have been faced with the job of taking home a load of wet tents and then struggling to get them dried out. I was glad I didn't have that worry today.

Once at work I phoned the CT scan people - they'd made an appointment for my nose scan at a time I could not do. I've managed to reschedule it for rather early on a morning when I am on a late shift. That will leave me at a loose end in Canterbury for a couple of hours. I suppose I could either have a sax practice or go off on a geo-mission. Both would pass the time.

Talking of sax practice, today's went rather well. With minimal squawkiness I've made a good start at "You Are My Sunshine" and "Once in Royal David's City". Maybe not appropriate for this time of year, but I'm pleased with how it's turned out.
Whilst I was tootling away today I slowly realised that I was being watched. Some posh-looking chap in a suit was walking toward me. He was all smiles and announced that I was "an inspiration". He was very impressed with my tunefulness; he looks forward to hearing me play every lunchtime (he must he hard of hearing!) and asked how I found the time to practice. He was amazed when I told him that I practiced at lunchtimes; it was my practicing that he hears every day. He seemed shocked that I wasn't "doing proper playing" with my sax but just practicing.
It turned out that this chap was under the impression that I found time to practice at home and then spent my lunchtimes serenading a mostly empty car park as some sort of a voluntary public service.
I smiled politely whist wondering what goes through some people's heads. What kind of a twit did this fellow take me for?

An early start made for an early finish. It would have been good to have taken "Furry Face TM" for an extended walk this evning, but the fine persistent rain got us both soaked after only five minutes. Instead we came home and put laundry into the washing machie. And with "er indoors TM" of bowling the rest of the evening was spent ironing that laundry. As I ironed I watched "The Forsyte Saga"; I do like period dramas...

No comments:

Post a Comment