6 March 2014 (Thursday) - World Book Day

Today is World Book Day, and so rather than reagling the world with whatever mundane trivia has most recently boiled my piss, today I shall do a countdown of my top ten favourite books.
It's an excercise I do every so often (I have a list on Facebook), and it's a list which changes periodically. But as of today the best ten books in the universe are (and I'm still not sure about the order):

#10 The Foundation Trilogy (and it's extensions) - Issac Asimov

Planning for a better future? Do it scientifically. Asimov's future history is a classic. It's one of theose series that is more heard of and spoken about that actually read. Which is a shame.

#9 Jem - Fred Pohl

Aliens, politics and environmental disaster. I once picked up a copy of this book whilst bored in a college library (whilst a friend copied my homework) and it's remained a firm favourite for years.

#8 Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K Jerome

Written over a hundred years ago; it's still hilarious. Everyone's heard of it; no one's read it.

#7 Earth Abides - George R Stewart

This is one I bet most people have never heard of. I got my copy from a second hand book store for ten pence (I took a chance). Post apocalyptic fiction at its best.

#6 The Songs of Distant Earth - Arthur C Clark

An interstellar love story - I blubbed (a bit) when I first read this one.

#5 The Kraken Wakes - John Wyndham

An invasion from outer space that went un-noticed for a while

#4 Torn - Drew Wagar

OK - so I have a vested interest in this book (read the acknowledgements section...).

#3 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

Every time I read this I relate so much with Charles Ryder

#2 The Saga of the Exiles - Julian May

Jumping from the frying pan into the fire...

#1 The Mote in God's Eye - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

I just love it


So there you are, loyal readers. It's World Book Day, so there's some recommendations. Let me know what you think of my favourites


No comments:

Post a Comment