7 October 2026 (Wednesday) - Rainy Day


 I slept through till eight o’clock this morning. I got up, made toast and had my usual rummage round the Internet as I do. It was still there with its usual brand of nonsense. Someone on a local Facebook page was asking for recommendations for good psychics and mediums… I found myself thinking back to the days when I used to (try to) sell paintings at psychic fairs in South Willesborough. Several of the so-called psychics would get their friends to come along and form a queue to give the impression that they were good at psychic-ing. These people queuing would loudly big-up the ones they were queuing for and would be loudly disparaging about the others. There was some weirdo at those psychic fairs who would wave an eagle’s wing at ill people (presumably in competition with the NHS), and there was some other chap who would use flash photography to take photos of people sitting in front of an iridescent background, and would then (for twenty quid!) explain what the pictures he took meant. The whole thing was one big scam, but the punters loved it – they must have; they kept handing over their money.
I thought better about commented on Facebook though.
The minor hiccup on the Dog Club’s WhatsApp group seems to have resolved itself. There’s a new caretaker at the Repton centre who’s got into conversation with someone who doesn’t actually come to Dog Club who apparently told him that we’d volunteer to do all sorts of groundwork and maintenance for them. Whilst I’m happy to help where I can, it’s up to the people at the Repton centre to organise stuff, not us. And if their committee isn’t as active as the new caretaker would like (which I suspect might be the case) then he needs to sort them out, not try to sideline them. I’m taking the line that I estimate the Dog Club already pays over a hundred quid a month to use the field; what more do they want? I think I’ve turned people to my point of view.
I’ve got no reply from Tredington about the ichthyosaur fossil EarthCache. How long do I give a vicar to reply to an email about a dinosaur?
I Munzed, Wordled from “vicar” to “prove” in four goes. Having the “v” on the first go was a result.
 
We took the dogs out. With rain forecast we went to Orlestone for a shorter walk. We got there, barked at the other dog in the car park, then had a rather good walk round the woods. No one rolled in anything, no one waded in any swamps, it was a good walk.
We came home via the co-op where we got pastries for lunch.
I then went into the garden. I got the long-handled lopper out and thought I’d see if I could get to some of the higher branches of the stuff coming over the fence from not-so-nice-next-door. I managed to lop off quite a bit. The bushes now look like I’ve been pruning way over the boundary line because now I’ve removed all the weight on our side they are somewhat unbalanced. When I got to the point that the garden waste bin was full I thought it was time to stop. My plan was to fill that bin as it (hopefully) gets emptied tomorrow. And the rain had started anyway.
 
I came in and realised that the washing which was supposed to scrub whilst I did gardening hadn’t finished scrubbing. Because it hadn’t started scrubbing; I’d forgotten to put it on. Ho hum…
I put that on to scrub, and had a look at the fish tank filter. It is supposed to aerate as well as filter, but no bubbles were blowing out. I fiddled about with the filter – there’s bubbles now.
I cracked on with the ironing whilst watching an episode of “Lost in Space” when I got a message. Nice-next-door is having her roof fixed as there were serious issues around her chimney. The roofer had seen something that looked iffy on our roof over the weekend, and we’d sent a few messages (and photos and videos of the roof) to and fro, and this afternoon he sent me a quote for him to deal with the problem. Oh well… what is money for if not to squander on fixing the roof before it is too late.
I’m a great believer in getting in a professional to sort things about the house. Having tried to bodge repairs myself in the past I then paid cheap and got what I paid for. I’ve learned that it is better to shell out on someone who knows what they are doing.
In the first instance this chap knows where to get scaffolding from, and that’s more than I do.
 
Despite the rain we did “FEED THE FISH” …. Well, me and Treacle did. The smaller two dogs weren’t going out in the rain. They ain’t daft.
 
“er indoors TM” boiled up fish and chips which we scoffed whilst watching this week’s episode of “Bake Off”. It was rather good.

No comments:

Post a Comment