13 December 2023 (Wednesday) - Tree's Up

The plan for today was to get up promptly and take the dogs to the woods earlier than usual, but after a terrible night I was rather later getting up than I might have been.
I made toast and had my usual look at the internet. Not much had changed overnight, but there was some serious ranting on some of the atheist-related Facebook pages I follow. Here in the UK whether or not you believe in a god really isn’t that much of a thing. But it would certainly seem to be so in America where the righteous and the atheists squabble like cat and dog. But when you get beneath the initial name-calling it would seem that each side is akin to football supporters. Neither side really knows anything about the faiths they do or don’t support; they’ve just seemingly randomly picked a side and decided to hate the other purely because it is the other side.
That really is human nature in action, isn’t it? I’ve seen people meeting for the first time, and the first question asked is “which football team do you support?”. We’re in the third decade of the twenty-first century and still we cling to this sort of tribalism.
I sent out some birthday wishes; a friend was having a birthday today; it would have been good to have caught up. And my father-in-law had his eightieth birthday today.
 
I took the dogs for a little walk. Not having time to go to the woods we just walked round the block. But round the block was almost a mile (according to my watch), and the sore bit on my heel that developed yesterday is now a blister. I need to keep putting waxy stuff on those new boots.
With walk walked I made us both a cuppa, did some CPD,  posted up today’s Advent adventure (which got its first two “likes” in less than a minute), then got ready for work.
 
Needing petrol I went to Sainsbury's to get some. I joined the queue and my piss boiled as some old git (actually probably my age) was fannying around, and in between putting petrol in his car, he was in and out of the car like a thing possessed. Eventually a little girl got out of the car and together they went to the kiosk... and immediately I smiled and decided that the two of them could do no wrong.
I drove to the pump in front of his car, filled up, and when I went in to pay I saw the little girl was wanting to examine every single thing in the shop. I grinned at them both, thinking that is exactly what “Darcie Waa Waa TM will be doing in a year or so.
 
Today I was working at Pembury; I drove through the -hursts and the -dens. Today there was only one set of temporary traffic lights, but as always no one was working on the bit of road they were blocking off. However there was an utter shambles of traffic in Sissinghurst with lorries and workmen swarming all over the road. If ever anywhere needed traffic lights, they did.
 
I got to work; being (nearly) Christmas the boss had brought in mince pies. Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference" mince pies. All very nice, but about half the size of a mince pie. Each one was certainly less than a mouthful.
 
And with work done I came home to find “er indoors TM has got a new Christmas tree…

No comments:

Post a Comment