3 December 2022 (Saturday) - Early Shift

As I stood in the garden (with tiddling puppies) at five o'clock this morning I had a little look around and was amazed to see there were more houses with lights on than houses in darkness. It's not just me who's up silly early then?
I made toast, planned my morning Munzee mission,  and then spent five minutes trying to get out of the house. The front door was jammed. Once I'd woken all the dogs in my fight with the door I eventually got out of the house and walked seemingly miles to where I'd parked the car last night. On the way to the car I deployed a gingerbounce house (it’s a Munzee thing); I've not deployed one of those before. As I walked I passed loads of people all walking about. All dressed in black in the pitch darkness.
 
I set off up the motorway. After five minutes I gave up listening to "Open Country" in which someone or other went for a walk in the countryside and intended wasting half an hour going "blah blah blah" about it on the radio. Walking for half an hour in the countryside is rather good... listening to someone going "blah blah blah" about it seemed a rather tedious option so I switched over to Ivor Biggun songs and spent the journey wondering about what I could say about what I'd got out of my Lego Advent Calendar this morning.
 
I drove to one of the roads near work and spent half an hour Munzing in the dark. As part of the Clan War (which started this morning) we have to Munz Munzees which haven't been Munzed for over a year. There's quite a cluster of Munzees near work that were put out over a year ago and hadn't ever been Munzed, so I got eight of the things and found two Qrates as well. Go me!
 
I toyed with the idea of having the cooked brekkie at work but thought better of it. Instead I cracked on with work and sulked. First because I was missing the Saturday Dog Club; Saturday Dog Club has fast become "a thing" in my world. The pups love it, and Treacle even tolerates it. And a little later in the day I had a sulk that I was missing the Christmas Geo-Meet. Mind you I'm not sure that I was missing much. In years gone by the Christmas Geo-Meet was one of the highlights of the year with dozens of hunters of Tupperware coming along for the event. When I looked this morning there were less than ten people signed up for it. Mind you as I've been saying for some time, geocaching is dying on its arse. Sadly when all the Karens who don't know the first thing about infection control demanded that the hobby close over lockdown, everyone who was seriously active in the game went to the dark side of Munzing (we certainly did) and didn't come back.
 
With work worked I went to Sainsburys for a few bottles for tomorrow and some fish food. And then the courtesy car told me that its tyres were under pressure (aren’t we all) so I drove over to their filling station and had a fight with the air machine. I managed to get the tyres pumped up; it cost me a quid, and I got a load of grease all over my hands as something of a freebie.
 
I came home to consternation. “er indoors TM had the arse as someone had eaten the bathroom mat. No one was actually caught red-handed (paw-ed?) but the sensible money is suspecting Morgan.
 
Jose and Maria called, and we all drove round to the New Chimneys for a pre-Christmas dinner.
Sadly the New Chimneys might not have been the best venue though. The raw vegetables were bone dry, and a thimble of gravy didn’t go far between seven. Perhaps having had staff who’ve actually left school and weren’t just trying to earn some pocket money might have helped. And personally I’d rather not eat dinner whilst listening to the thug element screaming abuse at the sport on the telly. Someone on an adjacent table asked to speak to the manager and was told he’d gone home (!)
But we had a good catch up and we had a great get-together. Must do it again more often… Somewhere else, though…

No comments:

Post a Comment