8 August 2014 (Friday) - A Game of Cards

We must have forgotten to close the living room door last night; "Furry Face TM" was having a woofing fit at the front door at 2.55am last night. I wish he wouldn;t do that. Whilst I was up I let him out into the garden where he had another woofing fit. I tried to get back to sleep, but couldn't. I dozed fitfully until I finally got up at 5.30am.
Friday morning is weigh-in time. Weight loss this week was disappointing after last week, but that is how weight loss goes. I watched "Family Guy" over brekkie; the dog who had been so lively three hours before was now fast asleep.

And so to work on a rather damp and murky morning. Had I been going to Teston today (as had been the original plan) I would have been be looking at a wet weekend; perhaps not going was for the best.
Mind you I did wonder how the event was going to be funded. Last year we had been told that the bill for the weekend would be over a thousand pounds which was to be financed by the camping attendees.
I offered several fundraising suggestions, none of which were taken up. I wonder how (or if) they raised the money.

As I drove to work the radio was talking about how the American air force is air-lifting humanitarian supplies to beleaguered minorities in the Middle East who are under fear of death because of their religious beliefs.
Sometimes I really despair. This is the twenty-first century. We have the technology to put people on the Moon. half the UK population can realistically expect a university education. Higher education is becoming the norm the world over and *still* we go to war over differences in superstitions...

I got to work for the early shift, and did my bit. I spent much of the day looking out of various windows whilst reflecting on how today would not be the sort of day best spent shivering in a field.
Sax practice was particularly overcast; it would have gone better had some random child not appeared from nowhere and offered me sage advice. Said child claimed to be able to play the saxophone really well and was self-taught. I smiled, and eventually he realised I was ignoring his wisdom.

I came home via the cheapo petrol station (which was today even cheaper than usual) and after quickly running "Furry Face TM" round to the co-op field five of us had a quick game of cards. With "er indoors TM" off at the annual convocation of the guild of candemongers we were having flushes and straights until midnight.
It's nearly eighteen months since I last played a game of poker. Really should do it more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment