10 April 2013 (Wednesday) - Bedgebury Again

Here's something of note. Regular readers of this drivel will know that I often rant about my sleep patterns. I rarely sleep more than four hours at night, and spent much of my so-called waking time nodding off. It turns out that this idea of "eight hours sleep" is a relatively modern concept. Historically people would sleep for three or four hours, get up, do stuff for an hour in the middle of the night, and then go back to sleep again. Researchers have found over five hundred historical references to people doing this sort of thing. I might try that for myself.

Among my collection of lame DVDs is the complete "Blake's 7". Billed as a "classic", at the time (thirty years ago) it was one of the best sci-fi shows there was. Computer generated imagery and super special effects were still years into the future, so like all sci-fi at the time they didn't try to disguise the fact that the sets wobbled, the props were made of old washing up liquid bottles and the monsters were men in rubber suits. Instead they employed actors who could act convincingly and they made a show with a plot. And the plots was (usually) good enough to take your mind off of the fact that the sets were wobbling and the monster was clearly a man in a rubber suit.
Recently much sci-fi hasn't bothered with plots; hoping instead that CGI will blind the public to the fact that modern sci-fi isn't so much about telling a story as it is about showing off the latest advances in computer technology
I see Blake's 7 is to return to our screens. I'm hoping for great things. I bet I will be disappointed. Mind you they re-made "Battlestar Galactica" which was from the same era and that worked.

With brekkie scoffed I put some laundry out on the line to dry. "Daddies Little Angel TM" arrived with Sid. We swapped a few insults, and then said our goodbyes. I had plans for the day - plans she had already declared to be "lame".
Four of us (and two dogs of differing sizes) set off to Bedgebury. Regular readers of this drivel may recall that over the last few weeks and months I've already been on two geocaching missions to Begebury. There are a *lot* of caches there, and today we intended to find all of the ones that we hadn't already found. We went with a list of thirty caches to be brought to light. We had a good time - a really good walk in the company of good friends who understand that my little dog has his little episodes. A walk in the fresh air in beautiful scenery. A walk past the ice cream van who did Whippys with monkey blood. (Am I really the only person in the world who calls the strawberry sauce in ice cream vans "monkey blood"). A walk through the woods and the mud.
And the caches - really clever multi-s and puzzles. Some easy to find. Some difficult. Some needing props and tools to find. And three of our thirty targets eluded us. Certainly one of them had gone - we found the hide but the cache had gone. One was supposed to be behind a tree. It might have been once but I wasn't convinced that it still was. And the third gave us the slip completely.
We started walking at 10am; we got back to the car shortly before 4pm. Steve found his 450th cache, Lisa & Earle found their 1150th and I found my 1500th. Is 2000 before August too ambitious?

We shall have to make another trip to Bedgebury to find those last three caches. But that won't be a bad thing; there are worse places to be.
Full marks to the chap who has hidden those caches. It's clear that a lot of time and effort has gone into filling Bedgebury with those caches and I for one am very grateful.

And so home again to the domestic trivia. Planning to mow the lawn tomorrow I harvested all the dog dung that was littering in. And again I blocked the toilet with the dog dung. Planning to do the ironing tomorrow I got the laundry in from the line. Most of it was dry. I then sat myself in front of the telly with a small dog (fast asleep) sprawled over me. It can be a tough life sometimes..


No comments:

Post a Comment