5 January 2011 (Wednesday) - Stuff


Up with the lark (or should that be “parrot”?), and I sorted laundry whilst watching telly. I say “watching telly” – most of the time was spent watching the antics of the parrot. Having opened her cage I thought she’d be happy enough to be left, so I went to get on with the washing up. I popped my head round the door to see “F.B.” marching across the living room table; clearly on a mission. “What are you doing?” I asked, and the parrot ran back to her cage.
To Asda to get lunch, and a radio for the parrot. We had this plan to leave the telly on for her, but modern tellies switch themselves off after a couple of hours. So the parrot now has a radio of her own. She can listen to Radio Four and swear at the politicians. I also bought her some grapes. And then to work, where I spent the morning worrying about F.B. Fortunately “Daddies Little Angel TMwasn’t at college this afternoon, so I was able to get regular parrot updates. It would seem that when I’m not in the house, the parrot is incredibly talkative and is quite a potty-beak, regularly using the F-word. What a rude parrot.
I came home to find the parrot somewhat subdued, and to add insult to injury she doesn’t like grapes. She took one from me, passed it from beak to claw, then back to beak and she spat it across the room. How ungrateful!

Meanwhile in non-parrot-related news, the world continues to turn. We are on Day Two of the diet. I had a couscous salad for dinner. I have absolutely no idea whether couscous is good for weight loss or not. Pundits are very quick to say what one should not eat when one is trying to lose weight, but not so fast to recommend foods which will aid weight loss. I suppose it’s because there is no such food. The best way to lose weight is not to have any food at all. Mind you, I’ve not walked to work yet. Yesterday it was raining, and today I didn’t want to walk – I wanted to be home promptly to see the parrot.

I had some fun at work today. Next week an associated department is having a formal inspection, and the more junior staff were being coached on how to deal with the inspectors. It is likely that inspectors will ask them where certain documents are to be found, what they should do under certain circumstances, to which senior members of staff they should refer for various matters.  Keeping a straight face I told a gathering of lab-assistant-types that if questioned and they didn’t know the answers to any of the questions, then they should cry. Normally bursting into tears puts most people off, but if that didn’t work, my back-up plan was that they should bite the inspectors. It would be a brave inspector indeed who would not give up after receiving a vigorous fang-ing.
(I bet someone will squeal on me about this to management, who just won’t see the funny side…)

This evening I went to the astro club’s committee meeting. Whilst I’m technically not actually a committee member, that’s never stopped me sticking my oar in. On Saturday we’re holding an event to co-incide with the BBC’s “Stargazing Live” program, and tonight we had a little conflab to make plans for Saturday. If any of my loyal readers are at a loose end on Saturday, from 6pm we’ll be doing the astro thing at Woodchurch village hall. It promises to be a popular evening – in the last five days the club’s web site has had over three times the average monthly number of hits. And most of them are coming from the BBC’s “Stargazing Live” links.

1 comment:

  1. Losing weight and keeping it off....relatively painlessly.

    Replace all bread and pasta with wholewheat variety.
    This takes longer to digest and so makes you feel full for longer.
    Nothing fried unless you use a 0 calorie spray to fry in.
    Switch to skimmed milk (this saves masses of calories and after a while other milk tastes too creamy).
    Do eat lean meat - chicken & turkey are really good. Protein also makes you feel full longer.
    Have some protein bars handy for when you get the munchies.
    One of those will make you feel full.
    Switch to low calorie spread for sandwiches.

    No...pastry, biscuits, sweeties, cakes etc.

    Have one day week off. That is treat day. When you are getting fed up it is good to have a day you look forward to. It will help keep you on track.
    On your treat day eat the things you really love and miss, but try not to binge.

    This and walking to and from work and any other bits of exercise you can fit in should do the trick.
    Do not eat too little or your body goes into 'starvation mode' and tries to conserve its reserves (fat). Then you won't lose weight.
    Do not try to lose it too quickly or you lose muscle instead of fat (the body will get rid of muscle rather than fat if it thinks there is a shortage of food).
    Protein water (fruit flavoured) is very good for making you feel full if you feel peckish between meals.
    Cook some eggs but only eat the whites. You can make omelettes with just egg white - protein.
    I spent a lot of time involved in nutrition. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete