2 Mo-Vember 2009 (Monday) - The Dentist (and E.L.O.)

My mouth wasn’t right today. The thing didn’t close properly, so I phoned the dentist. One good thing of having DenPlan dental insurance is that if I have a gob malfunction, I’m usually seen promptly. The fang-quack had a look, and then asked me what the problem was. So I told him again, and he had another rummage (to no avail). So I tried to direct him to the problem area as best I could, with my trap full of his assorted appurtenances. He then laughed a little, and was rather dismissive. It would seem I have an impacted wisdom tooth. These are ten a penny when you’re a dentist. They get infected and painful from time to time. The swelling is the inflammation. (dur!) He didn’t actually say that surely any fool knows that, but the implication was there. He’s given me some foul mouthwash and said to go back if it’s still playing up in two weeks time. If it continues to be a pain, then he may consider removing it surgically.


I had a wisdom tooth out once before. About twenty years ago. It was a tad traumatic, as I recall. I would have thought that at 45 (and two thirds) years old I was too old to be having wisdom teeth. I’ve left that rather late. But then again, that’s the kind of guy I am. I’ve had a slosh around with the foul mouthwash and I had a practice at scoffing with a bag of crisps (for experimental purposes). To be fair to the fang-quack I can get my gob more closed than I could earlier, but it’s still on the swollen side. I wonder if the dentist was put off by my beard. Whilst it’s still in the early stages, there’s no denying the thing puts me off every time I look in the mirror.


On Saturday I went to Brighton for no adequately explained reason. The “official” count is now in. There were 1635 people doing the Time Warp on Saturday, and the “official” video is now available, and a certain green man is clearly on screen for several seconds at about 2.10. “Yours Truly” appears fleetingly at 3.57, but if you blink, you will miss me. I had heard rumours that the Rocky Horror stage show was coming to Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells in the New Year, but the tour dates would beg to differ. Oh well – there will be another chance to see the show, I’m sure. I won’t buy the underwear just yet.


Yesterday I posted a link on Facebook. The Electric Light Orchestra was one of the “Big Things” in my teenage years (along with the Boys Brigade, crackpot religion, CB radio, underage drinking and fishing). The Concerto for a Rainy Day seemed quite appropriate for yesterday’s foul weather. My Facebook posting attracted some comments - apparently there’s an ELO tribute band which will be playing (relatively) locally on the Saturday before my birthday at 7.30pm. Tickets are twelve quid each. I might just go along to Tenterden to see them. If any of my loyal readers fancy a night out next February, please let me know a.s.a.p. and I’ll see about booking tickets.


Or that is, ‘er indoors TM will book them along with my birthday pressie…


1 comment:

  1. Hey Manky,

    Agree 100% re ELO, although I was slightly late to ELO being born in 1973.

    However that didn't stop me as a 7 year old pulling out these albums with their fantastic sleeve art (out of the blue particularly) and hounding my parents to put the records on.

    Music wise my favourite album is "A New World Record".

    Found this whilst poking around on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jBCKStWvZA

    Brought a lump to my throat I must admit! Great video and kinda makes the track relevant even today.

    - Chris

    ReplyDelete