23 April 2018 (Monday) - After the Night Shifts

As I walked round the park with the dogs this morning I could see that the park had been used quite a bit over the weekend. Walking round the place up to five times a week over the last few years I've found Viccie Park to be kept immaculately. However during the weekend the good weather had brought out the rabble who rarely (if ever) use the park, and their carnage had been strewn everywhere.
But it speaks volumes that we walked round there at five past nine this morning, and as we walked we could see the council’s clean-up operation was already in full swing. There were half a dozen blokes cheerfully emptying the bins and clearing the rubbish away.
What boiled my piss the most about the mess in the park wasn't the mess. That was already being tidied by a council who keep the park in tip-top condition. What wound me up was the nasty bitter sniping about the mess that I saw on Facebook; posted from people who also rarely (if ever) use the park and who claimed that the mess was the usual state of affairs.
There are *so* many people who live in the town (but rarely venture outside their own front door) who delight in calling the place "Trashford". I often wonder why – for all that it is a catchy rhyme, it is utterly undeserved. If people calling it “Trashford” feel the place *really* is such a shite-hole, why do they live here?
Over the last thirty years I've come to quite like the place.​

With our walk done I settled the hounds and collected "My Boy TM". We went to the fishing tackle shop. He was keen that I should get an in-line method feeder. (No – I had no idea what one was either). Basically it is a next generation version of what I used to call a swimfeeder. (What do you mean “what’s a swimfeeder?!)
More and more I find I need to take"My Boy TM" with me to the tackle shop to act as a guide.
Back in the day when I first started fishing things were different. The rod and reel remain the same, but the paraphernalia at the business end of the fishing tackle has changed beyond all recognition over the last forty years. "My Boy TM" and the nice man in the shop had a good laugh at old-school-dad, even if both admitted that neither of them could tie a spade-ended hook.
Something else which has changed is the price of all the fishing gear. Back in the day when I first started fishing, things were a damn sight cheaper. I used to go fishing regularly, financed from my pocket money. Today’s two method feeders (and a few other odds and sods) set me back over forty quid.

After our tackle shopping we had planned to go to Stone Green Nursery to get something to replace the acer (it’s a small tree!) I bought last year. It clearly hadn’t survived the winter. But rather than driving out to the outlying villages, the first fruit of my loin suggested we stay local.
I’ve bought a small palm. "My Boy TM" likes palms. I wonder if I will.

Despite having been up for two night shifts I was determined not to waste the whole day asleep so I made a start pootling in the garden. The lawn doesn’t mow itself. And I had a good rummage in the shed; there is a foul smell in there. I’m convinced something has died in there over the winter but despite a good search I could find no corpses.
Eventually I gave in and went off to bed where I slept for two hours until the dogs went mental as the Avon catalogue was delivered. I saw that as being God’s way of telling me to get up.
So I got up and fed my undercrackers to the washing machine. It is still making odd noises from time to time. Part of me thinks I should give the thing an honorable retirement and get a new one; part of me thinks I should thrash it until it finally dies whilst still on the job.

"er indoors TM" came home from work, boiled up a rather good bit of dinner, had a fight with the printer and went off bowling. I ironed shirts whilst watching the last few episodes of “Lost in Space”.
Now I’ve seen all of the first season I find myself wondering if I liked it or not. I’m not sure.. I think I will have to watch the second season before I make up my mind…

No comments:

Post a Comment