26 November 2012 (Monday) - The End of the World

I was rather tired after yesterday's thirteen mile hike. Little Fudge certainly was. I went to bed shortly after 11pm, was woken by my beloved's snoring at 2.30am, and then lay awake for the rest of the night; alternately listening to the sound of torrential rain against the window, and snoring.
I eventually gave up with the idea of sleeping and went downstairs to find a very sheepish looking dog. He'd not been sent out last thing last night, and he'd been taken short. Woops! That was the last thing I needed after such a bad night's sleep, but I couldn't be cross with him. After all it was "operator error" really.

And so to work. As I drove I listened to the news which was abuzz with the death of Larry Hagman who played JR in Dallas. I didn't realise that there was currently a series of "Dallas - The Next Generation" on the telly in which Larry Hagman featured. It's amazing what happens when you don't pay attention. There was also a lot of talk about the floods - large parts of the country are flooded. Hundreds of people are relying on their household insurance to help them out. Thousands of people are being told that from now on their houses won't be covered against flood damage in future. This could well make their houses un-sellable.
Mind you I can see the insurance companies' point of view. Especially as the Government won't contribute to help.

Something which boiled my piss was the latest brainwave from Cambridge University - the "Cambridge Project for Existential Risk". Concerned that mankind might get wiped out by plague, killer robots, asteroid strikes or other such far-fetched stuff, those in a position to do so have set themselves up on a nice little gravy train. They intend to play with ideas that science-fiction had tired of before I was born. And get paid for it as well. Nice work if you can get it.

After the news was a current affairs program about the re-unification of Germany. I listened intently to the program in the hope that I might learn something. Unfortunately after half an hour I still had no idea what they were talking about, other than that if they are having such trouble re-unifying Germany, what hope is there for a united Europe.

Meanwhile sponsorship for the mo is approaching the hundred quid mark. Please feel free to sponsor it; in four days it is coming off.


No comments:

Post a Comment