23 January 2014 (Thursday) - References

I shared my brekkie toast with a very tired dog this morning as I watched the latest episode of "The Tomorrow People". I do like this series, but featuring the utterly unlikely scenario of a somewhat geeky teenaged lad (with super powers) with loads of rather attractive girls as platonic friends, it's covering TV territory that Smallville did to death years ago.

I drove to work through thick fog. As I drove I listened to the news. There was very little of note really, which was probably for the best as far as my blood pressure is concerned. I really should stop getting worked up about things over which I have no control.
I stopped off at Morrisons for some fruit for lunch; one day I will find one of their self-service checkouts that actually works without needing the intervention of their helpful (!) staff.

And so to work. As I arrived the fog cleared, and I spent much of the morning looking out at glorious sunshine; sulking that the last two days were very wet for dog walking. There's no denying I had a wry smile when the rain came at lunchtime just as a colleague was saying goodbye as he took the afternoon off.
I don't mind working when it rains. But I was glad the rain had stopped before home time.

Lamb chops for tea. Very tasty.

I've had an email. In a previous life I used to be a manager. In that capacity I have been asked to provide a reference for someone who I employed through a temp agency several years ago. The chap in question was employed for two months some six or more years ago. And despite such a short tenure such a long time ago, I remember him vividly.
He was specifically employed to work at nights and weekends but didn't actually do so. I would find it difficult to quantify the amount of sick leave he took in only two months. On several occasions I received cryptic third hand reports that he had phoned in sick due to ongoing hay fever, only to be told by him (on his return) that he had not been off sick; he had taken leave which he insisted he had previously discussed with me.
As for leave, he would not ask permission before planning or booking it. He would instead announce that he was taking time off. He seemed oblivious to the fact that we were short staffed (for various reasons) and the sole reason for his employment was to shore up our short-handedness. Also he did not take agreed amounts of time of leave. Instead he would go on leave for a few days, and return when he felt like it.
He took rather a lot of leave in just two short months.
His telephone manner was abrupt and abrasive. His timekeeping was abysmal. His social skills were non-existent. He offended most of the staff during his short tenure, and those few he didn't actively upset didn't like him much either.
Whilst at work (and between leave and sickness he didn't actually show up much in those two months) he spent an inordinate amount of time on his mobile phone (despite having been asked not to carry the thing on several occasions).
He is best summed up by his departure. He left giving little notice (just before he was going to get the bum's rush) to take up a job in London, announcing very loudly into his mobile phone to everyone within earshot that “being in f***ing country bumpkin land is doing my f***ing noddle in”. His arrogant and unreliable nature soured me against him, and I told his temp agency I would not want him back.

Now, years later, this chap now wants a reference so he can go work overseas. He's after a "skilled migration Visa" because he wants to go and live in Australia. I can't help but wonder if I should pretend I've never seen this email.

No comments:

Post a Comment