29 March 2023 (Wednesday) - Rostered Day Off

 

It was a rather cold night last night. It would have been warmer had I been allowed any of the duvet. After a bit of a rant and a forceful yank in the small hours I secured enough of the cover to get warm.
I fancied toast for brekkie this morning, and turned the toaster up. “er indoors TM only ever has the thing set to “warm the bread up” but I prefer the stuff cooked. With toast (as opposed to warm bread) I sparked up the lap-top and peered into the Internet. I saw I had two new friend requests on Facebook. One had no end of different people in its gallery of profile pictures (and so was so obviously a scam profile). The other just had an epic chest. I accepted neither to my select list of chums.
I printed out some geocaching log sheets, made up seven geocache pots and got the dogs on to their leads.
 
As I drove the dogs up to Kings Wood the pundits on the radio were talking about Paul O’Grady who had died overnight. Having started as a TV drag queen twenty (or more) years ago he’s been on the telly pretty much ever since, and was something of a local celebrity living only a few miles down the road in Aldington. Several TV personalities were reminiscing about him on the radio this morning; yet again, and as the day went on, everyone’s Facebook feed filled up about him. I found myself in a minority of one in not knowing who the chap was.
We got to Kings Wood. The plan for today was to put out the geocache pots which will be the physical goals for the Wherigo I’ve been working on over the last week. And that was what we did. 
As we walked we met a team of Labradors quite literally rolling in thick mud. My dogs get grubby enough without actually rolling in the mud. I exchanged pleasantries with the people whose dogs were in the mud. They seemed rather miffed that my dogs were relatively clean, and their demeanor wasn’t improved at all when I pointed out that even if my dogs *were* lagged up, being small they take a lot less scrubbing.
We put out seven geocache pots, then went on a little wander and found hiding places for four more. We could have looked for more, but the forecast rain had started so we headed back to the car park.
When we were about ten minutes from the car park my idiot mag leapt into action. Some bloke (and a harassed looking wife) appeared from nowhere and he demanded to know if he could ask me a question… well, two questions. How long had I been in the woods? (about two and a half hours.) Had I seen any birds? (a few pigeons and we’d heard pheasants). The bloke then started on a major rant about what a complete con Chris Packham’s TV shows are. Apparently whenever Mr. Packham goes into the countryside on his telly shows he is followed by flocks of golden eagles, and has to fight redcaps and nightjars off with a shitty stick. However whenever this looney I’d found goes into the woods he is lucky to see as much as a sparrow.
I didn’t have the heart to tell him I’d seen the white deer earlier (if only fleetingly).
 
We came home to uproar. “er indoors TM’s mate had the front door in bits. It had been sticking recently. A little while ago I phoned Everest (who fitted it some time ago) about it but the woman I spoke to was disinterested to the point of rudeness. “er indoors TM’s mate has recently set up as a locksmith, and after an hour with him and his mate clouting the door the thing now noticeably opens much easier than it ever did.
Here’s hoping it don’t jam up again.
 
I did the geo-admin for the geocaches I’d hidden earlier, and then spent the afternoon watching episodes of “Four In A Bed” in which again those who knew the least were the nicest people and those who should have known better came over rather badly.
A quick bit of CPD, then on realizing she’d not got the makings of dinner out of the freezer, “er indoors TM popped to the KFC for scran. So much for diet, eh?
We scoffed KFC whilst watching another episode of “Outsiders” during which “er indoors TM learned a new word. How can anyone have never heard of the word “norks”?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment