11 March 2023 (Saturday) - Early Shift

 

Finding myself awake far too early I scoffed toast (and jam!) and as “er indoors TM and the dogs snored I watched more "Downton Abbey". Billed as a "period drama" it's rather a showpiece of un-moral behavior. In today's instalment James attempted to "get jiggy" with Ivy, but in a novel break with standard practice, Ivy wasn't having any of it. However Lady Edith had a letter saying that she was up the duff after her nudey sauce romp with the editor of whichever newspaper the editor edited. And having edited and done the dirty deed at Lady Edith, the editor chap has run off never to be seen again; leaving Lady Edith high and dry. And up the duff.
I suppose what with Lady Mary having porked the Turkish attaché to death in the second episode, the bar has been set rather high at the Abbey.
 
Pausing only briefly to cap six bouncers out of a tree house twice (it's a Munzee thing) I set off to work. As I drove I found myself wondering whether or not ranting on here is a good thing. Consternation was being expressed about ex-footballer and football pundit Gary Lineker who has been suspended by the BBC because of what he posted on social media earlier in the week. What he posted was rather critical of the government, but what he said was immaterial. Is he not allowed an opinion on current affairs?
It would seem that Mr Lineker  has been told he can either present "Match of the Day" *or* he can express his opinions in public. Several other of his co-presenters have sided with him and said they won't appear on "Match of the Day" this evening, as have many professional footballers. As I write this drivel, today's episode of "Match of the Day" is looking rather iffy.
Are the BBC right to gag him? The BBC pride themselves on their impartiality, and bearing in mind how many extremely left wing and right wing friends hate the Beeb, they are probably not doing too bad a job of it.  But does this mean a sports presenter can't rant about the government's immigration policy?
So how does this bother me?
Last October one of the country's leading experts on blood transfusion science was struck off because of his "inappropriate and/or unprofessional conduct". Some anonymous person took umbrage with what he'd posted on social media; you can read some examples of what he posted by clicking here. Some of it was a tad harsh perhaps, but I can sympathize with some of it. I've ranted along those lines myself in the past, but perhaps not to the same extent. But is this *really* “unprofessional conduct”. How does expressing such an opinion make one unable to perform in a professional manner?
Or take Poppy Sprague; a practitioner psychologist who is up before the tribunal for her anti-vax opinions. Personally I don't agree with her, but (provided she keeps quiet about them when dealing with patients) how does this opinion affect her ability to do her job?
What if someone takes umbrage with my rantings? Can I get struck off and sacked for an opinion?
Or consider the case of Christopher Manning who was cheeky and didn't pay his car park ticket... 
(None of these cases are in any way confidential - all the links are a matter of public record. And when the hearings take place the public and press can sit and watch proceedings)
 
I got to the works car park, and having capped six bouncers out of a tree house twice earlier I did it for a third time. Go me.
Work was work... On the one hand I quite like weekend working as with a reduced staff and workloads I get a more varied day. On the other hand it isn't so easy to be cheeky with the tea breaks. And I must admit  I don't like working weekend days when the weather is like it was today. And I had quite the sulk about missing Dog Club. “er indoors TM  took the dogs on her own... all three. I'm told they had a good time, even if Morgan did get over-excited as he usually does at Dog Club.
And not being home I missed “er indoors TM's test drive of a potential new car. She's been talking about some particular car or other for some time; to me they are all the same. They only difference is in the colour. I got my current car because “er indoors TM said it was a good one, and I (in equal measures) didn't know any different and didn't dare argue with her.
 
I got home and my phone beeped. I’ve not had any friend requests from unmoral ladies for a few days… and then today’s makes up for that shortage. Today’s potential chum lists its interests as board games, card tricks, reading… and a whole host of frankly unhygienic activities that you would think would set off alarms on Facebook’s automated systems.
They certainly set off alarms when I read them.
I’ve been trying to think of something witty and erudite to say about this one, but at the end of the day all that comes to mind is “Bloody hell – look at the size of those!!!
 
“er indoors TM sorted a good bit of dinner which we scoffed whilst watching more “Stath Lets Flats”. I might have an early night… I’m feeling a bit iffy. That bodes well for a week off work.

No comments:

Post a Comment