20 March 2023 (Monday) - Early Shift

I had an early night last night and got an hour's sleep before I was woken by a ferocious snarling. Treacle had taken umbrage with the puppies over something or other. “er indoors TM had a fight with her, and then had a fight with the puppies, hollering that it wasn't playtime and that it was sleep time as they flew over, under and through the bed playing chase. Eventually they pushed me out of their way to make themselves comfortable and they slept the sleep of the just as I hung off of the bed for most of the night.
 
I gave up trying to sleep, got up and stood on the scales. Seventeen stone and three pounds... time for a diet. I turned my nose up at toast and coffee and had a Slimfast shake for brekkie as I watched an episode of "Downton Abbey" in which Thomas made himself ill trying to cure himself of being "on the other bus". It was actually rather well done by the TV show's producers; a hundred years ago so many men really did make themselves physically ill paying a lot of money for crackpot cures to somehow supposedly "cure" themselves of being gay.
I didn't have time to wait for my lap-top to boot up this morning; I had a little look at the Internet through my phone instead. It was still there and not a lot had happened overnight really. Mind you, some mad woman was having a serious (and very entertaining) argument with her own sister-in-law on one of the pug-related Facebook pages as to whether her new dog was a pure-bred pug or not. And as the quarrel went on, other family squabbles were dragged up too. You'd think she would have kept what was clearly a family feud out of the public eye, wouldn't you?
And I had an email from the nice people at Credit Karma who told me my credit rating had gone up eleven points last week.
I wonder why?
 
As I drove to work the pundits on the radio were talking about that idiot Boris Johnson who is facing an investigation by the Commons Privileges Committee today to see if he really did mislead Parliament when he claimed that lockdown regulations were followed whilst he was allegedly staging piss-ups at Number Ten. If found guilty this would be the death knell for his political career. I would have thought being sacked as Prime Minister would have already put the tin lid on any political aspirations he might still have had, but what do I know?
There was also a lot of talk about the Scottish Nationalist Party being in disarray. A lot of talk about being in disarray, but not much about what the disarray was.
I since found out that the SNP's chief executive has resigned; the chap being the husband of Nicola Sturgeon (the leader of the SNP who has also recently resigned).  But there are very few details to be found about what he has done wrong.
Mind you, if both are going, there's no smoke without fire, eh? Or that would be the implication of the morning's radio.
 
I got to work for the early shift and got on with it. As I worked so the phone rang. It was my brother. The gas engineer had been to Dad's house and given both gas fires and the cooker the thumbs-down. The hoses to all have perished, and have now been capped off.
Oh well, if we can sell the house that will be someone else's problem.
 
Being on an early shift I got out early (obviously!). Despite the rain I took the dogs round the block. They seemed to enjoy their walk. And I then spent an hour or so catching up with writing up my CPD. Continuing professional development is something everyone does mostly subconsciously; so few people realise they are doing it.
There are two tricks to CPD.
Firstly recognizing that you’ve done some.
Secondly writing up that you’ve done some.
I have to do it; it is a legal requirement. I live in terror of being called up to show that I have done it.
I then spent a few minutes doing “dog photography”: an activity which would be far easier if dogs sat still.
 
“er indoors TM went off bowling. I settled on the sofa underneath a pile of dogs and watched two more episodes of “Downton Abbey” as the dogs snored.
I really should get to bed to get some sleep before they come up and hijack the bed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment