28 March 2023 (Tuesday) - After Some Wine

I didn't notice a single dog all night long last night. I could have slept so well… Such a shame that I woke in a cold sweat following a nightmare in which “er indoors TM had half destroyed the chodbin trying to remove a lock on the door which wasn't there.
I didn't fancy a Slimfast shake this morning; neither did I fancy a visit to Downton. Instead I made toast and watched an episode of "Stath Lets Flats" in which our hero jumped in a canal because another idiot dared him to. For a series which started well, it is certainly fizzling out and looks set to end with a whimper rather than a bang.
 
I set off to work through a rather old and wet morning. As I drove the pundits on the radio were spouting all sorts of drivel on all sorts of subjects. 
Humza Yousaf is now the head honcho in Scotland. I'd never heard of him before, and from what was being said on the radio it would seem that all of Scotland's politicians are something of an unknown quantity these days. If Nicola Sturgeon hadn't been running pretty much a one (wo)man band, all of her sidekicks either went with her, or had been keeping very low profiles.
There was also a lot of talk about upcoming strikes by teachers.  The pundits interviewing the union official were rather critical, but they seemed to be missing the point of all these strikes. As a society we need skilled people teaching in schools and treating in hospitals. Why on Earth would anyone take on such a demanding job when you really can get just as much money working in a supermarket filling shelves?
Schools are already funded by do-gooders staging beetle drives and gofundme campaigns. I really can see a time when hospitals are run by St John's Ambulance volunteers.
 
I got to work. Being a Tuesday there was a greengrocer’s stall in the hospital foyer. The produce all looked rather good, but the chap was knocking apples out at five for two pounds fifty as some sort of a bargain. Fifty pence for an apple ain’t a bargain to me!
Work was much the same as ever. I did my bit and escaped early. I came home and walked the pups round the block, then (having finished my new Wherigo last night) spent a couple of hours on another new Wherigo project. Well… not so much “new” as “revamped”.
 
“er indoors TM boiled up a very good chicken curry which we washed down with a bottle of Sainsbury’s sweet white wine from their “Taste the Difference” range. With change out of a fiver, you can’t complain about that stuff. As we scoffed and swilled we watched an episode of “Outsiders” which rather reminds me of my days as a scout leader.
And with that watched we put on an episode of “Landscape Artist of the Year”. Some of the artists were quite talented. Others… I honestly think my eight year old grandson could have done better… and probably has.

No comments:

Post a Comment