11 July 2016 (Monday) - Working in the Garden

I was wide awake and messing about on-line at 3am this morning. Having been wide awke for an hour thought I'd get up and pootle until I felt tired. I pootled on-line for half an hour or so then went back to bed and didn't really sleep that well at all.
I got up shortly before 7am and carried on pootling on-line for a bit before looking at sorting out an agenda for the astro club committee meeting; there is quite a bit going on behind the scenes. I also looked at putting together the intro talk for this month's asto club meeting, and dug out an old talk I might give just in case the invited speaker don't show up. Having been under the impression that the chap had been booked to talk to the astro club some months ago it came as something of a shock to find that he hadn't been. And having (eventually) made contact with him and arranged for him to come to the club, the chap now isn't answering messages and emails. Perhaps he's busy? But having a backup plan is never a bad idea...

I drove round to collect "Daddies Little Angel TM" and "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" and we then drove to Brookfield cafe where we met "My Boy TM" and we all had a rather good fry-up.
We popped to B&Q, then came home. The earlier rain had stopped and we cracked on in the back garden. "My Boy TM" and Sam got new membrane into place and set the edging stones and re-laid the brindle chippings. "Daddies Little Angel TM" washed the chippings, and "Stormageddon - Bringer of Destruction TM" generally wreaked havoc.

After three hours we'd effectively got the job done. Some of the edging stones need a little more setting, but that will wait for a while. We then got my monkey puzzle tree into its new pot, and then "My Boy TM" spotted some ferns growing through the decking. I was all for getting rid of them, but the first fruit of my loins wanted them. Apparently such ferns go for seven to ten quid in the garden centres, so we lifted the decking and extricated the three fern plants (complete with roots). Everyone was happy.

We then went to McDonalds for a spot of lunch, and on finding the one by the cinema closed we drove to the one on the orbital park.
I then took "Daddies Little Angel TM" and her entourage home, and "My Boy TM" and I went to Bybrook Barn. My next plan for the garden involves fixing dead water features and so I need new fountain pumps. They didn't have any in Bybrook Barn so we went out to Submarine Aquatics in Challock. I shan't be going back there. If you like vastly over-priced stuff sold with serious arrogance then I can't recommend the place higher.
We then tried the aquatic section of Dobbies. They had the same pumps as Submarine Aquatics in Challock but at less than half the price. Which was still double the price charged on eBay.

I drove "My Boy TM" (and his ferns) home, and then came home myself. Reallising that what with all the day's excitement I hadn't walked my dog, so I popped the lead on to "Furry Face TM" and we went round the park. Our walk was cut short as tree-felling was taking place, so we came home and I mowed the lawn, strimmed the edges and got the new washing line into place.
It was nearly 6pm by the time I stopped...

No comments:

Post a Comment